Changing IP with a new router?

roaster248

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hi, I used a new router for about 2 days, and noticed on whatismyipaddress site that my ip was different than before. I need to change my external/public ip, and was wondering if buying a new wireless router would change the ip that websites see?

It varies greatly from ISP to ISP. Some just rebooting the router can change the IP. Others tie the IP to your login so it does not matter what hardware you use you get the same IP. Many times it is just simple DHCP timeouts so if you say off long enough the IP will expire and you will get a new one.

What does DNS have to do with anything. The site whatsmyip could careless what DNS you had registered to. dyndns is used when you want to a have something that does not change when your IP changes. He very clearly asked how he could change his IP

If he's asking how to change his public IP address, it's most likely because he's using some service on his PC like FTP, a game server, or a web server. This means any clients must know the IP address. If he had a FQDN for his machine, he wouldn't need to worry about the IP address changing on him since the FQDN would always point to the correct IP address.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

When I see a comment from someone that knows little about networking and they want to change their IP address it usually falls into the category of being banned from somewhere....Stop doing jackwad things to get banned....now the will make up an excuse to why they need a new one

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

It is evident that you have been banned from a website, stop the nonsense and prehaps they will allow you continued access. Buying a new router will not give you a new IP because usually the modem is given an IP via DHCP then one is given to your device(router) based on the association to YOUR modem. That is how your ISP knows how to track down virus laden computers/networks and where to block them at a given modem.....been there done that!

You still have it backwards. He is not worried that it WILL change on him he is asking HOW to intentionally make it change. I too suspect beach is correct but I tend to refrain from getting into discussions of why to avoid thread getting locked.

This is probably true. I assumed he wanted to change it back to his previous address. I guess I shouldn't be so naive.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Sorry peeps, been having a rough day watching 5 year people get laid off and leaving deadwood to zap the life outta the remaining few. I shouldn't have taken it out on anyone…..
My most sincere apologies

roaster248

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I've had the same static IP for 2 years though. (even after i switched back from the 2 days of using the new router i got back my same old ip)
So I am still not sure why the site was showing me a new ip when everyone says that a new router cannot change it.

roaster248

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I know all the answers are saying no, but I found a similar question and saw this:

It depends on how your ISP handles IP addresses. Some use DHCP so every time you disconnect then reconnect you get a new address that happens to be free. Some have smarter DHCP servers like my ISP that remembers your device's mac address (unique identifier assigned to network interfaces) So I would get a different ip address on each device it plugged directly in to my modem, but if I plugged a device back in again it would get the same IP it had before.

I've had the same static IP for 2 years though. (even after i switched back from the 2 days of using the new router i got back my same old ip)
So I am still not sure why the site was showing me a new ip when everyone says that a new router cannot change it.

I am pretty sure that what the person above said is why each new router I use has its own IP, but when I swtiched back I got back my old one...?

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
New router or old router the mac of the modem is registered with DHCP, your device behind it will always get the same IP it had before till the lease runs out.