M5A97 R2.0 EVO Updated BIOS 0906 to 1903 now it wont boot !

vingumminr9

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
(Not sure if this is the right place to post it)
Anyway since my BIOS was version 0906 and my fanspeed seemed to bug in showing RPM on some programs (it was like 60.000RPM) and a version 1903 was avalible on asus' website, i figured i would update it.
I built the computer couple days ago , and its my first build.
I downloaded the bios file from here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO_R20/#support_Download_36 (version 1903) my previous version was 0906
and the Asus AL Suite II + asus updater.
I ran the Asus updater & updated bios from file. it required a shutdown... now when i turn the pc back on , its just black screen (computer is running, but i cannot get it started)
this is my first computer build, so i have no idea what to do now :D

(I already had the pc running for a couple of days before i did this)

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I assume the flash process completed properly:

Remove power from the board (switch off power at AC)

1) Clear CMOS.
2) Place a single memory module in the slot furthest from the CPU.
3) Power the board on and check if it will POST.

Give it a few minutes if it sits at black screen just in case any of the micro-controllers are being updated. If it will not POST you may have had a bad BIOS flash which means you may need to RMA.

vingumminr9

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

ok so basicly now
I have now done following :
i Loaded BIOS on USB stick 3x now. First the 1903 then the 1708 & then the 0906 version that was previously on the card... none of them worked (i did rename it properly and only had 1 file on the USB at the time) it blinked green for a minute or so (meaning its somewhat succesful as far as i understood in the manual) and then when i turn it on , its still just black
i tried to reset the bios/cmos by removing the battery, & letting it rest for 30minutes.
i moved the Graphics card to the 2nd pci 16 slot,
nothing is working..............
i tried booting with monitor plugged in & out too.
all the fan's are running (2x case fan, Cpu fan & all the gpu fans too)

i have let it sit more than 5 min each time on the black screen too ! so im sure its not just updating something

also im not realy sure about what you mean with 2 & 3 (im new to this)

vingumminr9

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
so what do i do now ? :Z

Edit: I spoke to a friend and he explained me what you ment. i removed 1 slot of RAM & Put 1x 8gb in the furthest slot away from the CPU, still not working

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
It should have a bios flash back button on the motherboard. In the manual it will say what usb port you need to plug it into for it to work. It also has a memok button try pushing that read the manual... And the third one the directkey? what is that...
Also that ram stick should have been put in slot a1 not b2 like he told you...

When you do this I recommend unplugging all of your Hard drives and CD sata cables along with everything plugged into the back panel where the IO shield is...everything but the keyboard And monitor/audio cable. I suppose you could leave the mouse in but I wound't recommend it...

When the computer turns on you should hear a Beep when trying to inter the bios if you hear it then thats good news if not then it means it failed and you may have to rma it...it may take up to 5min to load the bios.

After trying these steps see if you can get into the bios screen by tapping the delete key or F2 key repeatedly until you hear the beep. depending on what the manual says you may have to push a different key to enter the BIOS screen...if you can then your golden at this point. If not then try an older version of the bios and see if it works. Try a different display out put like HDMI or VGA or DVI etc see if any output will display something.

Lol...simplify'd:

Turn off computer unplug power cord from outlet aka wall...
Unplug the everything but the keyboard, monitor, audio.
Unplug all the sata cables to the motherboard before attempting to do bios update...
Do the update for the Bios if fails try a different version of it like the original version the one that worked last...
If it still fails try seeing if you can get display from any of the display out puts like vga, dvi, hdmi, displayport. etc
If you can get a display try to boot into bios by turning off the computer and when you turn it back on tap F2 key repeatedly or the delete key until you hear a beep. Don't stop till you hear it it may take a few minutes before u hear it... Stop if you hear it or see that it loaded the bios screen. If you can get to bios screen you should be good from that point if not then well your probably gonna need to RMA it...

vingumminr9

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

i already did the flash back as explained, with the usb with different BIOS versions into the BIOS flash port on the back of the case

the RAM is fine

& the Direct key is basicly just a way to boot your system directly into BIOS without mashing the DEL key. (it however just brings a black screen like the rest)

i have tried both older versions of the bios & tried with 2 different monitors on 2 different outputs.

i just simply cant get the bios up in any way
What does it mean to RMA it?

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Because you are new to this see if one of your tech savvy friends can do this for you as you may be doing something wrong and not know it...RMA means to Call up your manufacturer and request them to send your motherboard in to get a replacement or repaired at which point will cost you and you will have to go through there hole program to get your computer fixed....

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization

kfarris

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Turn off computer unplug power cord from outlet aka wall...
Unplug the everything but the keyboard, monitor, audio.
"(!!Unplug all the sata cables!!)" to the motherboard before attempting to do bios update...as your hard drives or ssds may interfere with it.
Do the update for the Bios if fails try a different version of it like the original version the one that worked last...
If it still fails try seeing if you can get display from any of the display out puts like vga, dvi, hdmi, displayport. etc
If you can get a display try to boot into bios by turning off the computer and when you turn it back on tap F2 key repeatedly or the delete key until you hear a beep. Don't stop till you hear it it may take a few minutes before u hear it... Stop if you hear it or see that it loaded the bios screen. If you can get to bios screen you should be good from that point if not then well your probably gonna need to RMA it for a replacement or to get it repaired...hopefully its still under warranty if it is under 30 days sense you got it take it back and tell them you want a replacement as it is broken.