pc shuts off while gaming

Joshua Medlen

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Ok.so im posting from my phone so cant really hit you with a dx diag on it but off the top of my noggin i think i got a amd fx8120 eoght core 3.4 ghz processor. Nvida geforce gtx 560 i think 2gb video card. And i think 4 gig ram. 700w power supply. Now ive clesned my cpu and gpu i updated bios and drivers and the issue still occurs. My video card core has started hitting 99% when i play certain games but the strange thing is i was playing these games a week ago just fine. So at this point im thinking i have a power issue cause when it gets ready to cut off i get this cackling noise in my headset. So is my issue power or bad video card?

Joshua Medlen

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Yes they only get up to roughly 60c and maybe once or twice it shot up to like 83c right before it shut off but it literally shot from lik 51c straight to 83 in 2secs which just seems like a result of faulty powerto me but hey im not an expert on these things. Cpu temp stays around 47 at load so seems normal to me

Joshua Medlen

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I think if i remember right the brand is called coonix i think i could be wrong. Its only i think about 2 years old maybe less. I havent really done much to put a whole lot of strain on it though. Only one video card, hard drive, and cd drive no multiples of anything. Side note i can play league of legends diablo 3 fine. But i play games that use abit more 3d render and it shuts off after usually 10-30mins of play

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Those kind of brands are way too easy to kill. They are not giving the promised wattage. 700w could easily be 550w or less. That's the typical thing when you buy cheap stuff and brands nobody have heard about. If you are capable of trying another PSU, do that. If not, i wouldn't risk using the same PSU since it's starting to malfunction. It could pop off your whole system, not worth it. Wouldn't touch that PSU, or let it near my rig ever.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014
Take a look at this one, definitely something you should be interested in.

Joshua Medlen

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
ok cool. So is 650w plenty or should i look for bigger wattage

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
If you want to use SLI/Crossfire then you should at least have 750w. So yes 650w will be enough for your system. Hell, you can overclock CPU and GPU aswell with the 650w PSU.

Joshua Medlen

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Sweet thanks for the help. Now to kind of get by until i get paid will unhooking my cd drive which i dont use and maybe a spare fan or so and usi.g a box fan will that get me by for the moment or at least till i get paid and can order it. Which might be like a week or week and a half at max.