Windows 9/10 Rumors

Paulie_Jordan

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
So it seems that there are already rumors flying amongst the community of a Windows 9 being available as soon as next year and even a rumor of a Windows 10 being a full on cloud based OS (meaning it will be streamed over the internet to you). The rumor itself isn't really the topic here because its far too early and doesn't have nearly enough proof for me to care. My main question is why is Microsoft backing us into this new corner and why don't they allow us to make a choice in our Operating System? It seems to me that a more advantageous marketing model would involve two different Operating Systems after establish the new Modern gui as a usable experience. Your thoughts?

it seems to me that only every other OS they create is worth the wait. look at their track record.

Failures:

ME
Vista
Windows8

So Windows9 should be good

also it is a way to make money by forcing people to change

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I thought MS announced (just after W8 was launched) they they would be adopting more of an incremental update system in future; in a rapidly shrinking (and fragmenting) market it would make more sense for a W8.2 than a W9.

Paulie_Jordan

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
@Emerald, I agree with the failures thing. I hope that Windows 9 will be a little less controversial but time will tell.

@Joe, I believe that Microsoft may be using 8.1 as a buffer for maybe a true fix in the near future. Esentially, they are giving us a half fixed OS before they release the real deal. If this is the case, than this will be the fastest death of an OS in the history of computing.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Microsoft seems pretty frustrated with the XP users not moving off, however the reception of W8 isn't helping them out. 8.1 is just basically a service pack.. it's just marketing the way they are doing it. I don't think it'll work out much and seems they are even holding back 8.1, possibly due to the fact they want to make sure driver updates are without any bugs. With MS removing features though i don't think they will win a good amount of the usage share as much as they used to. Users not moving from XP are just the beginning.

and the start button they are implementing in the Beta version is a joke.

by default it open the Metro screen. You need to program it but the only I could find was to have the option to Start, Restart, or Sleep.

No option for a program menu

Tseg

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

Wow! My experience is quite the contrary. While not intuitive, go to the Desktop screen in 8.1 and right-click the task bar and click <Properties> to easily set the system to launch directly to the Desktop screen. From there you can either click the start button or push the Windows key and have it set so all programs/applications pop up, sorted by categories.

Right click the Start button and there are a whole host of power user options. Add some Star Dock apps, like ModernMix, and you can convert "apps" to windowed programs that set in the Desktop screen taskbar. I no longer have to go to the Start screen, in fact it has been weeks since doing so. I see the adjustments coming as delivering as OS that acts like Win 7 on steroids.

way to complicated for a beginner.

why couldn't they just make it look like "Start Menu 8 for Windows8" from IOBit.com in other words like Windows7?

I have 9 out of 10 people either return their computer with Win8, or pay the extra $100 and have me install Windows7 on the system. Main complains is the Start Menu is missing, to hard to figure out and get use to.

It seems like driving a car. Coming from Automatic and switching to Stick-shift, some will learn and get use to it others don't. Whereby I seen more people get use to driving a Stick-shift than using Win8.