I researched info on CPUs, would anyone mind glancing to see if I missed anything major?

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Hello, Tom's Community.

I'm looking into building my own system and I want to be fairly knowledgeable about each main component. I'm going by the tech specs listed on newegg for my research, by the way.

Most of this information was copied from wikipedia, this forum, and possibly a few other sources...

The first main component I decided to research was the CPU... this is all the information I gathered on it, and I was wondering if anyone would mind scanning it to see if I made any glaring mistakes or missed something major...

Thanks so much! This forum is a lifesaver, and so helpful! :) .. and sorry that the info I gathered is so.. long...

Also, the last bit about CPU parts, that was taken from a post someone made on here. I can't remember who, but I wanted to credit/thank them.

Sorry it's so freaking much.. it's fine if you just glance at the bold headers or something.. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU

1. CPU Socket:
A CPU socket or CPU slot is a mechanical component(s) that provides mechanical and electrical connections between a microprocessor and a printed circuit board (PCB). This allows the CPU to be replaced without soldering.
eg: the thing that you open and place the CPU chip on top of and then close again.

2. CPU Cache
A CPU cache is a cache used by the central processing unit of a computer to reduce the average time to access memory. The cache is a smaller, faster memory which stores copies of the data from frequently used main memory locations.

When the processor needs to read from or write to a location in main memory, it first checks whether a copy of that data is in the cache. If so, the processor immediately reads from or writes to the cache, which is much faster than reading from or writing to main memory.

Most modern CPUs have at least three independent caches:
1. an instruction cache to speed up executable instruction fetch,
2. a data cache to speed up data fetch and store
3. a translation lookaside buffer (TLB) used to speed up virtual-to-physical address translation for both executable instructions and data.

Multi-Level Caches
Larger caches have better hit rates but take a longer time. To address this tradeoff, many computers use multiple levels of caches, with small fast caches backed up by larger, slower caches.

L1, L2 and L3 Caches - What the terms really mean
L1, L2, and L3 are shorthand for Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3. Caches are organized hieraritcally, meaning the Level 1 Cache will be the smallest and fastest out of the three, and the Level 2 Cache will be the next in terms of size and speed, with the Level 3 Cache being the largest and slowest cache (if only three Levels are used in a CPU Cache)

Multi-level caches generally operate by checking the smallest level 1 (L1) cache first; if it hits, the processor proceeds at high speed. If the smaller cache misses, the next larger cache (L2) is checked, and so on, before external memory is checked.

3. Cores
Cores are what handle the arbitrary mathematical and logical workloads. They take high level machine instructions (x86, ARM, MIPS, etc...) and 'decode' them into physical circuit operations. Many other parts of the system, such as GPUs and chipsets operate in a similar manner but are designed with specific purposes in mind which makes them more efficient at these particular tasks. CPU cores are designed with a general purpose, making them jacks of all trades.

For example, the Core 2 Quad processors were actually two individual Core 2 Duo processors in the same package with some very simple supporting hardware to allow them to work together. This stands in contrast to the more modern Sandybridge processors which have all 4 cores and supporting hardware on one chip, a far more efficient design.

Multi-core technology allows a single processor to have more than one physical processor inside. For example, a computer with one dual-core processor acts as if it were a computer with two CPUs installed, working under a mode called symmetrical multiprocessing (SMP). Even though multi-core CPUS have more than one processor inside, they cannot be used independantly. The operating system is run by the first SPU core, and hte additional cores the CPU may have must be used by the same operationg system. So, based on any explanation, there is no difference between a single-core COPU and a multi-core one.

5. Operating Frequency
Microprocessor frequency specifies the operating (internal) frequency of CPU's core. The higher the frequency is for a given CPU family, the faster the processor is. Processor frequency is not the only parameter that affects system performance. Another parameter than greatly affects the performance is CPU efficiency, that is how many Instructions Per Clock (IPC) the CPU can process. Knowing these two parameters it's easy to calculate total number of instructions per second that can be processed by CPU: Frequency * IPC.

6. Manufacturing Tech
Manufacturing Tech refers to a process that is an advanced lithographic node used in volume CMOS semiconductor fabrication.

CMOS (Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor): a technology for constructing integrated circuits.

Semiconductor Fabrication: the process used to create the integrated circuits that are present in everyday electrical and electronic devices.

Integrated Circut: An integrated circuit or monolithic integrated circuit (also referred to as an IC, a chip, or a microchip) is a set of electronic circuits on one small plate ("chip") of semiconductor material, normally silicon.

NM: Short for "nanometer"

The lower the Manufacturing Tech (32 nm vs 33 nm) the faster the CPU.

7. Hyper-Threading
An implementation used to improve parallelization of computations (doing multiple tasks at once) performed on PC microprocessors.

Hyperthreading simulates an additional processor per CPU core. For example, a dual-core CPU with Hyperthreading iss seen by the operating system as if it were a quad core cpu. The hyperthreading technology has the same effect as the multi-core technology.

8. Integrated Memory Controller Speed
The memory controller is a digital circuit which manages the flow of data going to and from the main memory.
The Integrated memory controller (IMC) is integrated on the microprocessor in order to reduce memory latency.

Memory controllers contain the logic necessary to read and write to DRAM, and to "refresh" the DRAM by sending current through the entire device. Without constant refreshes, DRAM will lose the data written to it as the capacitors leak their charge within a fraction of a second (not less than 64 milliseconds according to JEDEC standards).

DRAM: Dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) is a type of random-access memory that stores each bit of data in a separate capacitor within an integrated circuit.

9. Virtualization Technology Support
This technology enables a CPU to act as if you have several different computers, in order to enable several operating systems to run at the same time on the same machine.

10. Integrated Graphics
A CPU that has graphic capabilities integrated into it. Inferior to stand alone video cards.

11. Thermal Design Power
Thermal Design Power, or TDP, is a statistic that is expressed in watts. It’s an expression of the amount of power a processor is expected to dissipate to prevent overheating. For example, a part with a 12W TDP will could potentially be cooled by a very small fan or a passive heatsink. A part with a 95W TDP, on the other hand, is going to need a substantial dedicated heatsink with a reasonably large fan (probably 80mm).

A lower thermal design power generally results in lower power consumption which means greater (CMOS) battery life.

CPU Parts:

Processor / CPU: The combination of one or more 'cores' with supporting hardware and shared resources.

Processor package: The physical casing in which one or more processors or CPUs is contained. The pinout from the package is what allows the processor to interface with the rest of the system. Some processor packages may contain more than one processor die inside of them, or may have the cores and shared resources on separate pieces. The contents of the processor package and how it is organized are up to the manufacturer, hence the distinction between Processor and Processor Package.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8350rocks

Distinguished
That looks like all the relevant information...

Though, keep in mind, things like clockspeed are relative to a given company's architecture. AMD and Intel run at different clockspeeds, and sometimes one may be clocked higher, but the lower clocked CPU is better in some cases.

Also, when researching CPUs, synthetic benchmarks are a good way to get a general idea of a particular CPUs performance across a group of programs for a given task. However, they are not concrete and there are variables in play that may make the performance of a given system less or more than what was benchmarked by someone else.

The best suggestion I can give you would be to look at what you're going to use the PC for, and look at the programs you're going to be using most, and see what kind of performance you're going to get for your money spent.

If you are considering 2 CPUs, and one costs you 40% more money, but performs only 10% better, the value does not outweigh the added premium for that CPU. I always look for the most value for my $ on PC parts. That's entirely why I chose the parts that I did, you can find my build in my signature.

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks so much for the advice!

I will look into synthetic benchmarks, and also keep in mind what you said about comparing what I'll need the computer to do verses the money I spend on it.

Thanks for the value pricing advice. I'll take a look at your build as well.

Thanks again!

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
One more thing, you got the info on CPUs, but before you buy one, don't let intel people or amd people (Like I and probably 8350Rocks) Tell you what CPU is better. If you are gaming, just get an AMD. They may lose in the benchmarks but you won't notice a difference unless you have 1000 dollars to spend on a processor. If your rendering 3D stuff go intel. Invest that 1000 dollars in a GPU, that will impact more game performance than anything OR you don't even have to buy one if your mainstream. If you'd give us a budget and a sum up of what your planning to do, we could recommend the best CPU for the money.

4745454b

Titan
A lower thermal design power generally results in lower power consumption which means greater (CMOS) battery life.

No. The CPU gets its power from the PSU, not the CMOS battery.

Yes and no. USUALLY a reduction in process tech allows for either a bump in frequency, or a reduction in power. (Or both if you want smaller bumps in both.) Sometimes however a process can be so new that you get neither. Think of Nvidia with the GTX480. They had so many issues with the new chip and process that they had to leave parts disabled just to get usable yields. After TSMC made improvements to the process and NVidia changed a few things, they were able to ship the chip they wanted as the GTX580 which was basically the same as the 480 but with all parts turned on.

If you are gaming, just get an AMD. They may lose in the benchmarks but you won't notice a difference unless you have 1000 dollars to spend on a processor. If your rendering 3D stuff go intel.

Unless you like RPGs, then you are better with Intel. Or if you are rendering on a budget as the 8320/50 does that a lot better then the non HT 4core Intel parts.

This seems more like asking for help verifying research you have done for homework assignment than a thread asking for help building a custom PC. But that's okay because you have done the research and you are merely asking for validation. I've seen some other posts for "homework assignments" basically stating "I need to write a paper about computers... tell me what I need to write..."

Just to provide more clarity... The lower the manufacturing tech, the lower the cost of production will be. Meaning more CPUs can be manufactured on a single 300mm silicon wafer. From a performance perspective, it can mean that the processor is faster if the clock speed is increased (assuming the same CPU architecture). However, more importantly it is the lower power consumption and heat output as a result of the lower manufacturing tech that allows for CPUs to be clocked higher for better performance. That is assuming performance takes precedence over power consumption.

A CPU that has graphic capabilities integrated into it. Inferior to stand alone video cards.

Overall, true. The main goal is to reduce overall system costs especially for OEMs (original equipment manufactures). No integrated graphics (iGPU) would mean a laptop or desktop would need to have either a dedicated graphic card or have a chip that is integrated into the motherboard which increase the overall cost and also add to the total manufacturing time to the laptop or desktop. The additional time maybe only say 30 seconds per unit, but multiply that by millions of units....

As stated by 4745454b the CMOS has nothing to do with it. In a desktop PC the CPU draws power from the power supply which is connected to the AC outlet. However, in the case of a laptop, a low TDP CPU generally means the laptop's rechargeable battery will last longer.

===============================================================

CPUs are slowly going in the direction of SoC (system on chip) a phrase originally coined for ARM processors. The goal is to integrate the functions of many other components in to few components. The memory controller is one such function, the iGPU is another. Intel's Haswell CPU has fully a integrated voltage regulator as part of the CPU, something that originally was part of the motherboard. One downside of doing this though is that the TDP of Haswell CPU is basically 84w compared to 77w for Ivy Bridge CPUs; some models will have lower TDPs than what I have stated. Again, the overall goal is to reduce system cost by having fewer components which also means less manufacturing time.

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Thank you, all of you for all of your help! :) I need to take time to process everything that was said since I last replied to this thread, before I can go into any in depth replies on technicalities.

I did want to bring up one little thing that sort of hurt my feelings in regard to why people would think I'd want to know this kind of information.

This seems more like asking for help verifying research you have done for homework assignment than a thread asking for help building a custom PC. But that's okay because you have done the research and you are merely asking for validation. I've seen some other posts for "homework assignments" basically stating "I need to write a paper about computers... tell me what I need to write..."
I guess I wrote enough that it probably looks like a homework assignment. I can understand where that mindset is coming from, but at the same time, it just seems logical that I'd want to know as much about each part as I could before I choose what to pick. I dunno. I might just be OCD with this sort of thing.

If I end up building a computer, I want to be sure I understand each and every one of those tech specs New Egg lists under their specifications tab. I don't like being in the dark about something if I think it is a major thing. I feel like if New Egg bothered to list it under the specifications, I should know what it is.

What I did was switch to the specifications tab on the page for a processor I was considering, and go right down the list and make note of any terms I didn't understand (and there were a lot of them.)

If you look at my original post, each topic almost goes in the same order as the tech spec list on New Egg (omitting a few that I did understand). I only tackled CPU Caches second, when it was originally mentioned after Operating Frequency, because I at least had some idea of what those were from hearing the word plenty of times.

The whole reason I researched this list:

1.CPU Socket:
2. CPU Cache
Multi-Level Caches
3. Cores
5. Operating Frequency
6. Manufacturing Tech
7. Hyper-Threading
8. Integrated Memory Controller Speed
9. Virtualization Technology Support
10. Integrated Graphics
11. Thermal Design Power

It's because it was the exact same list that NewEgg gave for the processor specifications tab.
Here's the URL if anyone wants to look:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900

I'm considering buying a processor that costs 300 dollars. I just want to be sure I know as much info about all the specifications that NewEgg felt were important enough to list before jumping and buying something just because it looks like it's "great" or whatever.

The last couple bits I added (CPU Parts) were just bits of information that I thought might come in handy to know, that I got from this very forum.

Sorry if this came off vent-ish, I didn't intend it to. It just makes me depressed that people no longer seem to want to do research for the sake of research (especially if they're buying expensive things), and because of that, the first thing people think when they see anyone that did do research for something that they actually want to know, is that it's for some homework assignment. :(

This has really discouraged me from posting any other 'can you look this over and see if anything I've researched is wrong' posts. :(

4745454b

Titan
Believe it or not, but we often get people in here asking questions that REALLY make it seem they are wanting homework answers. As Jaguar and I said, at least you did the leg work so I/we don't have a problem replying. It's when we get people just asking for the answers that we get peeved. Don't ask us to do your homework. If it's homework, do the learning. And I wish people were as "OCD" as you are. Because others come here as well AFTER buying only to find out the parts don't work together or they bought something because it has pretty lights. There is nothing wrong with doing research. I hope your build goes well and please continue to learn/ask questions as you need to.

That about sums it up Michelle, but there is little point in regurgitating all that text. In reality people make choices on CPU because they are driven by a situation. And more often than not they won't even need to start about nitty gritties like cache, fabrication tech, IMC and virtualization.

Most important is information like the comparative performance and price which you can never know just by reading tech specs. And all this talk is only about one component in the computer; the processor. There are other crucial components to factor, and learning from a situational point of view is probably a lot more practical than trying cram for some thesis on computers.

Anyway, it's good to know there are people interested in learning about system building. Despite how much you already know, it's always good to post your intended build/choices in the forums, so we can help you avoid costly mistakes and suggest improvements/alterations that can save you $, boost performance and feel confident as a better informed person.

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks guys. I guess I kinda snapped and just went off, because integrity is something I really pride myself in, so it was a bit of a shock. But I can completely see how my detailed original post could be mistaken as a homework assignment. And in reality, I probably went overboard in what I needed to know anyway... but, least I know what those specs mean now.

Well, you did state it was for building a PC, but thats a leisure, not homework :p So, what is your budget, we (the forum members) can get you the best performance per dollar and help you on various other parts of the build.

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Lol, for me it almost is 'homework'. I get so worked up and so neurotic about every little thing, it turns into a nightmare. :/

I was about to consider just saying 'oh screw that' and get what I need from one of the places like ibuypower or maingear, but THEN i heard some bad stuff about those kinds of sites on here, so back to square one.

I have most of my components picked out, and I plan to post the list later today. After I went insane with the CPU technical information, I kinda ran outta wind, especially after looking at all the tech specs for motherboards. And then sound cards. Sound cards, good lord, where one is 30 dollars and another is 200.. and I'm not sure why. It just makes me want to go live in a cave. (well.. not really, but you get what I mean.)

And then there's the paranoia that I'll screw it up and turn my 200 dollar motherboard into a paperweight, or do something else and somehow things will blow up in my face. Just a stressful experience because I've never built a comp from scratch...

8350rocks

Distinguished

1. Don't worry about a sound card, most motherboards have them built in. Additionally, for better sound, AMD's newest line of video cards will have some that will feature TrueAudio, and I expect that to exceed what you would see in a sound card anyway.

2. It's less complicated than you think to build a PC. Just take your time and read up on it first. You can also consult us here, we can and will help with that.

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think it is wrong to research into the different components like Michelle did. Sometimes it is really hard to predict what a future "usage scenario" will be. For example, I built a computer merely intended to be used as a NAS, since the hardware of that computer had pretty advanced virtualization features I started to take advantage of that. If I knew better I would also buy ECC RAM rather than non-ECC RAM. I've also learned to configure it to strictly stick with UTC and not local time since multi-platform setups tend to mess the system clock up when applying daylight savings twice a year. I learned that an a bunch of things.

Sure the amount of cache may not be so relevant these days since you don't have much choice other than the amount of $ you are willing to spend on the CPU. I think a good rule-of-thumb here is that if the CPU is going to do a lot of tasks involving conditional instructions (branch instructions) then a lot of cache is beneficial. Implementations of such tasks involve artificial intelligence (i.e. NPCs in computer games) or web browsing among other things. If you are merely going to do a lot of number-crunching tasks then a lot of cache is not as beneficial. Examples of number-crunching tasks involve batch video processing/compression, 3D rendering, statistical computations etc. The best way to evaluate whether a CPU will satisfy a user's needs is by looking at relevant benchmarks, I guess.

I've also noted that a lot of built-in stuff are pretty inferior, i.e. the built-in sound chip is sub-par in audio quality. The OnBoard SATA controllers such as those from JMicron or Marvell cannot handle pressure well and the drivers are terrible, especially on non-Windows platforms. So in a usage scenario like that a user might find him or herself needing more PCIe slots than anticipated. So in that situation, a need for a Motherboard with a higher number of PCIe slots and PCIe lanes would be desired. The thing is, you might not need an extra PCIe slot right now, but you might want it in the future. A computer setup with too few PCIe slots will then be rendered obsolete faster.

Say that you only do some surfing but then discover that 3D modeling and rendering is a great fun but alas the drivers for the GPU suck really hard which make the viewports of the software a bloddy nightmare to operate. Another unforeseen scenario is enrolling with a course that turns out to involve using more advanced computer software such as Autodesk Inventor, Catia, Solidworks or say Matlab (or r, Octave, Yorrick etc). You get a good student deal for the software package but unfortunately the computer you just bought and the drivers that come with it are not up for that software package.

I hope btw people start to wake up and move away from the Windows platform as far as possible. It should be known that all Microsoft based computer software comes with a backdoor that allows the CIA/NSA to scan the computer for user content and put it in a database that is just as searchable as google (for the people who work at CIA/NSA and Homeland Security). This is called Prism and was revealed by Edward Snowden. It should be diligently noted that U.S. companies are bound by U.S. law to add functionality into the software that allows the NSA/CIA to spy on the users. This has been discussed in more detail on Ars Technica...

Michelle Beth

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up grabbing a powerspec, because I was too worried something would go wrong, and I needed to make sure I had a computer. You gave me a ton of good info though. I do agree with the whole windows thing, it's the reason that I suddenly had a fire lit under my butt to get a new comp asap.

I still have my old pc, and I'm going to reformat it and install a version of linux, I'm thinking linux mint because I've heard good things about it. Thanks again!

Hello,
I wanted to ask, what will you be using the new PC for?
Gaming, normal multimedia and browsing, or something more demanding like rendering, data processing and such?
Also, after what was posted in this thread so far, what CPU are you leaning towards?