PC is shutting itself down while launching any game.]

thormond

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Everything started after i installed The Witcher 2, all games until that time were working just fine without any issues (Skyrim, Dota2, Starcraft2, LoL, etc) but when i first launched TW2 i had my first forced shutdown (and it's not restart - just shutdown after which i have to re-plug my cable to the PSU in order to be able to boot again), but PSU is not even overheating and used to supply enough power to run Starcraft2 for example (now it shuts down somewhere between log-in screen and splash image).

CPU is cool, GPU is cool and PSU as well - the only thing that is hot no matter what i do is motherboard's heatsink (it gets like that after booting the system already).

Tried driver sweeper and installing the latest catalyst straight after (radeon 6800 driver) but didn't help.

I can browse the web just fine, I can render 3d game in Unity3d viewports, I can use blender - it's just games crashing PC on loading screens.
Sometimes it goes past that point, yesterday for example i played Starcraft2 like half day without any issues and today i tried to get past log-in screen like 5 times (while performing all this driver-related stuff, waiting for motherboard sink to cool down, dusting off all the parts, etc) and never made it to the actual game. What's going on?

What should i do?
Get a new GPU? (current: Radeon HD 6850 cyclone)
Get better PSU? (current: 500W Modecom)
Buy new Motherboard? (current: asus M4A78 i guess)
Or is this something software-related?

thormond

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

How much power should i go for with current spec to be the most cost-efficient then? 500? 600? 650?

thormond

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Last thing: What about PFC Circuit ? Should i keep it passive and get 650W or should i get 20% more expensive active PFC on 600W? Is it worth it?

PS: No need for overclocking since everything I need would run smooth on 100% supplied cyclone and it's already overclocked by default, but there are no 600W corsairs w/o active PFC available here where I live

thormond

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Actually i switched to 650W corsair and everything is working fine, I've been checking temperatures with various tools and heat problems were out of question

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Good to hear! Would appreciate if you selected best answer! It helps :)

thormond

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
When I edit my first post and check "Request solutions to this Question (not a discussion)", it doesn't change anything after applying changes, I guess it works only while setting up a new thread :( (it implies I can't select the best answer)