Budget Gaming CPU Suggestions

Hey. Could anyone tell me any good CPUs under $200 for gaming, and a good motherboard to go with it (Motherboard up to $150).

Should I go with a current gen Intel i5, or should I use the older i5-2500K? I prefer not to have an AMD, but then again, I've never used one before.

Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about budget gaming cpu suggestions
  1. So total budget appears to be $350 if I am understanding you correctly. If that is the case, a 3570k and an Asrock Z77 extreme4 would make for a nice combo.
  2. logainofhades said:
    So total budget appears to be $350 if I am understanding you correctly. If that is the case, a 3570k and an Asrock Z77 extreme4 would make for a nice combo.

Thanks for your fast response, but I'm wondering, isn't that a third gen CPU? What benefits are there to buying this model instead of going for a fourth gen i5?
  3. considering they are teh same price on newegg (after $20 gift card) I would say go for the 4670k. Of course this would require a different motherbd, one with a socket 1150.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600438202&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201150
  4. you could go the route of the i5 2500k and the msi z77a-g45 gaming mobo both should be in your price range.
  5. noah131 said:
    logainofhades said:
    So total budget appears to be $350 if I am understanding you correctly. If that is the case, a 3570k and an Asrock Z77 extreme4 would make for a nice combo.

Thanks for your fast response, but I'm wondering, isn't that a third gen CPU? What benefits are there to buying this model instead of going for a fourth gen i5?

4rd gen costs more overall, uses more power, generates more heat, and doesn't overclock as well and is at best 10% faster. Not worth the added cost. That slight performance gap can easily be made up due to ivy being a better overclocker.
  6. Do not go for a 3rd gen ivy Bridge when looking at a new CPU. It isn't worth it. The upgrade path is End of Life'd. Go for the 4670K as it uses the new 1150 socket, allowing for a better upgrade path.

The 4670K also gives you hyperthreading that the 3570K won't and will make a massive difference when editing or photoshopping. In terms of energy use, the 4670K is far more efficient, carries an onboard voltage regulator and is more efficient at lower clock speeds.

That is to say that the 4670k doesn't overclock as well as the 3570k, but because of it's efficiency, the 4670k still comes out on top.

As for a mobo, that is entirely personal (moreso than a CPU) as each carries its own feature sets you need to look at. We need more info from you on that front.
  7. GamerDad said:
    Do not go for a 3rd gen ivy Bridge when looking at a new CPU. It isn't worth it. The upgrade path is End of Life'd. Go for the 4670K as it uses the new 1150 socket, allowing for a better upgrade path.

The 4670K also gives you hyperthreading that the 3570K won't and will make a massive difference when editing or photoshopping. In terms of energy use, the 4670K is far more efficient, carries an onboard voltage regulator and is more efficient at lower clock speeds.

That is to say that the 4670k doesn't overclock as well as the 3570k, but because of it's efficiency, the 4670k still comes out on top.

As for a mobo, that is entirely personal (moreso than a CPU) as each carries its own feature sets you need to look at. We need more info from you on that front.

For the last time the 4670k does not have HT. None of the quad i5's have it and has been that way since the first i5 chips were released. Only the dual core i5's have HT. A 3570k can overclock to make up for the minor difference in performance of 10% or less.
  8. noah131 said:
    Hey. Could anyone tell me any good CPUs under $200 for gaming, and a good motherboard to go with it (Motherboard up to $150).

Should I go with a current gen Intel i5, or should I use the older i5-2500K? I prefer not to have an AMD, but then again, I've never used one before.

Thanks in advance.

If you do choose to explore the AMD products, I suggest you look here:

Mother boards: http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Search?SearchFacets=category%3AMotherboard%3Bmotherboard_processorsocket%3AAM3%2B

CPU: http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Search?NamedQuery=desktopprocs&SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor%3Bmodelnum%3AFX-6350
  9. Thanks all for your responses. I have decided to go with the Intel i5-4670K with the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard, mainly because of the newer socket which lets me upgrade the CPU in the future if needed.
    Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel i5 CPUs Motherboards Go