VGA Connector screw missing. Any solutions?

TheCourier

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
When I bought my new computer, I would occasionally go back onto my old one. This meant uplugging my VGA cord and reconnecting it to the old computer. When I was done, I would unplug it and hook it back up to the new one. A few months ago, I accidentally pulled out one of the tiny screws to the VGA connector and it went missing. I never found it and I think I threw it away by accident before I realized what happened. Now, I can't connect my monitor to it and can't access my old computer. Are there any solutions? I tried a VGA USB adapter, but that requires installing software, which I can't do because I can't see anything. I posted a picture below of what exactly I'm talking about. Any ideas are appreciated.

35NGluq.jpg

rvilkman

Distinguished
Or you can check out if you have any unused connectors with the same kind of nut screws and move it to the empty slot.
But yeah it's only function is to keep the cable connection in place, everything should work fine without it.

cklaubur

Distinguished
Heck, if I'm just hooking up a computer to a monitor temporarily, I don't bother tightening it down, and it works just fine. All it is for is just to keep the cable from coming loose.

As for finding a replacement, serial and parallel ports use the same mounts. If you have one available you aren't using, just pull one from there.

Casey

TheCourier

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Well, after these answers, I tried taking out the other screw to see if that worked, but it didn't. Trying to use a replacement also did not work. I'm guessing at this point, it's the VGA connector itself. Which is weird because it's always worked and now it doesn't. Guess it's time to find out how I can now get to my stuff on the old computers. Thanks for the help people.