Sign in with
Your question

I need help regarding the PSU in my computer. (Noob here.)

Last response: in Components
August 27, 2013 3:40:03 PM

Sorry for the vague title, so let me explain:

I, apparently, have a Small Form Factor PC.

Here's a link:http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/DT.GE3AA.0...

However, it is a big-sized desktop (or so I thought), so I was wondering if I would be able to upgrade my PSU with a normal-sized one. I found a thread that said an ATX form factor should work in place of SFF. I am planning on upgrading my graphics card to a AMD Radeon 7750, which should work with my 300 watt PSU, but if I can upgrade my PSU I'll hold on the card and invest on a PSU. My uncle is also offering to give me his 3 Gig Radeon card, which I would install if I knew I had the power to run it.

So, in the end, I have three options. What should I do?
-Buy and attempt to install an average, higher wattage PSU.
-Buy a lower-end graphics card that I know my computer could run fine, or
-Buy a lower-wattage, small form factor PSU?

Thanks!

More about : psu computer noob

August 27, 2013 5:05:21 PM

Go for the higher wattage, its not worth getting a low end gpu and maxing out the psu. Take the 3 gb radeon and buy a higher wattage psu.
August 27, 2013 7:51:17 PM

Davidwnuk said:
Go for the higher wattage, its not worth getting a low end gpu and maxing out the psu. Take the 3 gb radeon and buy a higher wattage psu.

Sorry, but I found out earlier that the 3 GB card is actually not compatible with my motherboard. :( 

Related resources
August 28, 2013 9:38:30 AM

Try to buy a high wattage psu and save for a gpu. Remember that the psu has control of everything in your computer, if something bad happens to it, it has the potential to destroy more components in your computer.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2013 9:45:15 AM

What is the name of the card your uncle is giving you? Because the mobo has a PCIe slot, and I don't see why the card wouldn't work in it.
August 28, 2013 1:24:07 PM

ihog said:
What is the name of the card your uncle is giving you? Because the mobo has a PCIe slot, and I don't see why the card wouldn't work in it.

you are right i don't see how it wouldn't fit
!