msata with OS and SSD drives good idea?

woofblitzer

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I am going SSD for sure. Originally my idea was to get two Samsung Pro 840 @256GB and put them in RAID0 and have everything there including OS. This was when I was leaning towards the MSI barebones 16F4-780. My issue was that I am sure the performance would be exquisite, but there is always that risk of risk one risk all in RAID0 and losing OS is never fun. The issue with the MSI unit is twofold...there is no advertised fillable msata slot where one could store the OS and you are locked in the nvidia 780m, where my research is showing it's performance is NOT $200 above the ATI 8970m (yes this is a laptop build).

So that leads to me the remodeled P157SM in Clevo-land, what Sager is calling the NP8255-S instead of NP8255. It has some prepackaged advantages, like two msata slots. Again you are locked into the 780m gpu, but you also get a Blu Ray reader, Bigfoot 1202 and a 95% gamut matte screen. Other downside is you are locked into unknown (brand not revealed) RAM. If you build the standard P157SM that is not the "S" model, you are not locked into the 780m gpu and can choose ATI instead, but to get the screen, Blu Ray, Bigfoot and everything else on par, you end up spending the same as the "S" model with the 780m, so you don't save money by picking the ATI.

The benefit of the Clevo is though I can add a msata, put the OS on it and still get two SSD's in RAID0.

My question, do I need the msata for OS only as a precaution, or will the performance be a little slower and antithesis to what I am doing with the SSD's ad RAID?

popatim

Titan
OS on msata or raid0 SSD makes no real world difference. will you notice if you boot up in 37 sec rather than 36? I dont think so esp if you are coming from an HDD. As for the risk part, if one drive dies on the msata setup you reinstalll anyways. raid0 just offers twice the risk, same solution. Adding an Msata ups it to any of 3 drives fail = reinstall.

the pro's of OS on msata
easy backup and restore (ever restore to a raid0?)
if raid0 fails you still have windows
if raid0 fails you only have to reinstall the programs that were on it.
if msata drives dies you can install OS to raid0 along with all programs
more freespace on raid0
less disk usage overall.

cons of msata
its a bit slower in transfer speeds

pro's of OS on raid0
2 drives, 1 drive letter
twice as much space
twice as much sequential transfer speeds

cons of OS on raid0
more difficult backup and restore solution
slower to load windows than single ssd
no internal drive to backup to.

anyone else with thoughts on this?

woofblitzer

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I understand the risks of RAID0, that is why the msata will not be in RAID. The msata will be a singular drive with the OS on it. The additional two SSD's will be the RAID array, but they are SATA3 in hard drive slots, not msata on the motherboard. I would like the msata to be only a boot drive as an enhancement to the two Samsungs I want to use. I have not seen what you posted about Windows loading faster from a single SSD then dual in RAID0. If none of it really matters, then it seems there is no need for the msata drive.