Are Hard Drive speeds going to increase for increased internet speeds? What's your thoughts?

martelmungo

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I've been wondering this for a while.
I have a 105 megabit comcast connection
When downloading, world of warcraft or games from steam i can get about 11 megabytes/s
I'm aware windows measures hard drive speed in megabits, I've only seen my hard drive go past 80, give or take, megabits when transferring. So it appears as though, my hard drive is bottle-necking my internet
Guess, I can use a ram drive, since i have 32gb of ram, or i can use one of my SSD's, then transfer over to my hard drive.
But my point was internet speeds are increasing and becoming cheaper but it seems like hard drive speeds or adoption of more affordable SSD's is taking longer then the time it takes for internet speeds to increase.

Google Fiber offers one gigabit, but no consumer hard drive can obtain that, most can't even get 100 megabits.. SSDs can but they are smaller, and RAM can to, but most consumers if they got the 1 gigabit couldn't even use 10% of it, without depriving the system of hard drive bandwidth. Maybe that's why google offers a gigabit because they know, unless someone RAID's like 2-3 SSD's they can't achieve the download speed and even then most companies won't upload at such speeds.

It's been bothering me, so i figured I'd make a post and see what people thought.
Did not know whether to post this in storage or networking...

You live in luxury mate, down here in Australia the best you can get until the NBN roll's out is 20Mb/s.

The real advantage of wider (not faster, think lanes on a highway) internet connections is that multiple devices can use the internet at once without running into issues. Any single person/machine I couldnt see needing that level of bandwidth unless your under some professional usage case.

HDD speed's I feel arent going anywhere quick unless we get some new breakthrough (mass adoption of 10,000RPM or Hitachi's Helium Drive testing is a success), SSD's and other flash based solutions seem to have all the attention in the storage space right now.