PC won't boot, at a loss as to which component might be causing it!

CapnCardiff

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I apologise if this is a mundane question but I need the issue to be cleared, even if the answer is something needs replacing.

My setup is;

Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 MOBO
Amd phenom x4 3.4 quad
Stock fan
2x 4gb ddr3 1883(?) corsair dominator ram
Ati sapphire hd 7870 2gb
Sound card was £20, it isn't the issue
Cd drive was £10, also not the issue
Corsair tx650 psu

So, what's the issue?

The issue is the machine won't boot. Last night, it ran fine. As of today, I can't even boot to bios. The vga and boot device LEDs come on and I get one long, three short beeps.

To begin with, it was the CPU led but that made way for the ram led. Then that stopped and were stuck here. The Gfx card will turn on and sometimes stay on, and the boot device LEDs will stay off, but most times the fans will suddenly stop spinning and the boot device led comes on. Can someone clear what part is faulty? I don't want to assume the wrong thing is broken.

I have tried;

Bench testing
CMOS clear
Component cleans
Booting with cd
Reset bios with button on MOBO
Removing one stick of ram and that jazz
Changing sata
Changing pic slots
Changing power plug

Any ideas?

rchar081

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
how long did you leave the battery out for in terms of the cmos clear? Try taking the battery out for a couple minutes then put it back in and see what happens.

CapnCardiff

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I might have done a CMOS wrong, but either way, I don't feel as though I can remove the battery without damaging it.

rchar081

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
? wat??? CMOS is probably the easiest way to fix it, it's at least worth a proper try. Also whats good to know is the battery is very difficult to damage :). There are many guides on how to take your CMOS battery out on google, it's a very simple and easy process..... Please give this another try.

CapnCardiff

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I don't have one of those little caps to do it. What I actually did was use the hard reset at the back, apparently that's not a CMOS. I apologise. Ill try the battery tonight. What do I do when it's out? Give it a wipe and pop it back in?

rchar081

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
no you literally just have to take it out, wait a minute or two, and then put it back in. It will reset the BIOS to default and potentially and hopefully fix any problem you were having....

CapnCardiff

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Removed the battery, replaced after a few minutes. Same thing, Vga led came on, not boot device, but still no signal to the monitor. Then I restarted, boot device led again, with vga and no signal

DarylEPerez

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2013

Now that you mention that "no signal" sign, I had a problem with that a month ago. Had to replaced my video card to make my pc work again. Last attemp, turn on your computer and let it on for 2 minutes at least, and check if gets you to the Windows log on screen, if not I think it's a VGA problem in which one of the ways I believe it can be solved it's by a new video card. This is caused by any drivers unsuccessful installation, or wrong drivers.. etc

ronl3991

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I attempted all of the expected solutions and ended up just replacing the monitor. I don't know what in the interface would cause the computer to not boot, but it did. I replaced the monitor and the system boots every time without failure and runs fine. I connected the defective monitor to my other computer and it caused the same problem. Computer would not start every morning without several attempts which included multiple hard shutdowns. I don't know why, but monitor was problem.