Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Computers
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2013 12:19:35 PM

Tomorrow I am refitting my computer, pretty much everything except PSU and blu ray (all started when I bought one thing and just said yeah that could do with replacing too).

Anyways...this computer I am on at the moment, I have two 1TB HDD in RAID 0. I am buying a new SSD so I was wondering if I could just disconnect the HDD and then reconnect them after I have set up the computer then reformat them, or is it best to do that before I connect them to the newish computer? If so I'll just break the RAID and boot and nuke me. I don't care about anything that is on them any more all I care about is backed up on an external

Plus does anyone know any good guides to building computers? This one was built by a friend, I just watched and handed him beers. I am confident I can do it, but it's always best to have something to fall back on.

Cheers

More about : hdd raid moving computer

a b G Storage
August 28, 2013 12:21:46 PM

if your wanting to keep anything from the raided drives then back it up before removing them or you will loose it as the raid array will break.

what i would do is set the sata controller to raid and then install windows onto your ssd, put the 2 HDD's in the new machine then build a new raid array on them.
August 28, 2013 12:29:12 PM

Will that work? I am getting a new motherboard.
a b G Storage
August 28, 2013 12:32:36 PM

yeah, just backup what you want to keep on the raided drives, put the ssd in the new pc and install windows onto it, then put in the 2 HDD's and setup the raid on them, should be an option after the bios screen saying press a function key to access the hardware raid menu, then you select the 2 HDD's and setup the raid you want to use on them.
!