Storage on Marvell 9182 and Intel controller

Javi3d

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hello,

I have a 6gbs SSD with windows 8 (Samsung 830) and 2 WD Black 6gbs hard drives available for Raid 0 on an "Asus Maximus IV extreme" motherboard.

I have only 2 6gbs ports on the Intel controller. The other intel ports are 3gbs. And the Marvell controller is the 9182 6gbs (2 ports)...

How would you plug everything?

The SSD on the intel 6gbs port and the 2 WD black raid0 on the marvel 6gbs ports?
or..
The SSD on the Marvell port (trim is lost?) and the 2 WD black raid0 on the intel 6gbs port?
or..
The SSD on the intel 6gbs port and the 2 WD black raid 0 on the remaining "3gbs" ports?

So confused as some people talks well about the marvel version 9182... and other says that marvell is almost useless..

what do i do?

Kind regards,
Javier

Palorim12

Distinguished

for the love of glob do not plug the SSD into the Marvell port. It wreaks havok on the SSD.

Javi3d

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks ;)

So.. if the SSD is on one of the two intel 6gbs port.
then.. the 2 WD 6gbs hdds for the Raid 0? I put them on the 2 6gbs ports on the Marvel 9182 controller ... or on the 3gbs remaining ports on the intel controller?

I mean... a RAID 0 of 2 (6gbs) WD Black hdds.. will perform faster/better in the marvell 6gbs 9182 controller or in the 3gbs intel available ports?

regards,
Javier

Palorim12

Distinguished

IDK anything about RAID, since we don't support RAID in Samsung Support, and idk how Marvell works with HDDs, but we get calls all the time about SSds not working and we find out its cuz they connected them to Marvell controllers. i just saw you mention the marvell controller and i got worrired, so i wanted to warn you, sorry i couldn't be of more help.

popatim

Titan
In the bios set the intel sata mode to raid. You will need the raid pre-install drivers available to install it during windows setup.
dvd on intel sata3g_6
ssd on intel sata6g_1 (red) and install windows & drivers and shutdown.

Now install the hdds on intel sata3g_3 &4 ports and boot back up. you can use the intel RST software from within windows to configure the drives in raid 0/1

if you will need to add more drives to the raid you can move the dvd drive to the marvel ports and that will get you 2 free ports on intel.

Javi3d

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thank you.

My primary question was where i plug the 2 WD 6gbs drives to form the raid 0.

Do i plug them building the raid array with the intel controller using 3gbs ports (the 6gbs port is busy with system ssd).. or i use them on the marvel 9182 raid controller using the 6gbs ports?

I mean.. 6gbs hdds in raid0 mode are faster in an intel 3gbs port controller or in a "marvell 9182" 6gbs controller?

I ask this as lot of people talks bad about marvell but they speak very well about this "marvel 9182"controller (the one i have) as they say that is has a 2 lane pcie bus.. not just one as the 912xx.

kind regards,
javier

popatim

Titan
Harddrives cannot exceed sata3g speeds so putting them on a 6g port is a waste. They will operate at max on sata3g just fine. sata2/sata3 is pretty much irrelevant when talking about harddrives. This is why I listed the specific ports I would use were I building this.

As for the 9182, yes its better than the 9128 but its far inferior to the intel 6g's and maxes out at about 600mb/s which is far short of the bandwidth of the 2 pci-e lanes it will use up.

Javi3d

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I guess i understood you.

So the Raid 0 of 2 WD black hdds will perform better in the intel controller on the 3gbs ports than it would in the Marvell 9182 6gbs ports... as this hard drives even if they are 6gbs they never take that advantage as they cannot go that fast.

So.. i should plug the WD black raid 0 into the 3gb intel controller instead of the marvell 6gbs 9182 controller.

Thanks so much!
Javier