Vaio laptop not booting from CD

cherryfilledpie

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Sorry im really bad at tech stuff so i wasnt sure which board to post this on...

Anyways, my vaio laptop isnt booting from my DVD-R disc on which i burned an iso onto it. My laptop model is VPCEG23FX.

What ive tried so far: during startup i held the F2 button to get into setup and i changed the boot priority and put optical disc (cd rom) at the top priority. I saved and exited then shut down my laptop. When i turned it back on, i wasnt prompted to press any keys to boot from CD. It just stayed on a black screen for a while and i can hear the disc spinning and stuff but after a while it just resumes windows like it usually does. Why doesnt it boot from the CD?

I looked around and i heard that there is a uefi and legacy boot option but i dont know how to access that, when i enter set up and go to the "Boot" tab there is nothing that says uefi or legacy. Apparently you cant boot from a cd in uefi mode? But the thing is i dont even know if i have uefi mode.

Ughhh how do i make my laptop boot from my CD disc?

make sure the dvd drive for one is a dvd drive lol, make sure that the boot priority is not the hard drive, and make sure ur making the dvd a bootable disc and not just a disc with a iso image on it. Use the Windows7 usb dvd tool to make sure the iso boots off the dvd/usb.

UEFI is the modern version of bios the change is its colored, has use of the mouse and is more user friendly than regular bios, either way hit the proper button to get into the bios/uefi and change boot priority

cherryfilledpie

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

I have tried all you have listed except how do i make sure that the iso is bootable? What i did was right click the iso after downloading it and clicked Burn Disc Image and from there it just burned onto the disc. Isnt that all i have to do?

Well use the windows tool that i mentioned it'll tell u if it'll work or not. and no u cant just burn it been there tried that lol. Use the windows tool and hit browse click the iso then next if it works then select dvd and should burn as a bootable dvd, if not google windows7 usb/dvd tool iso fix. I dont remember exacts but the video i saw involved poweriso and changing settings in the iso properties

the windows tool is the only way i know to make a bootable usb/disc for windows