Sign in with
Your question

3770k or 4770k for decently cooled gaming/everyday use PC

Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2013 8:44:55 PM

I need advice to break the tie in my head between a 3770k on a Z77 sabertooth, compared to a 4770k on a Z87 sabertooth. I understand that haswell's run hotter than their predecessors because of poor TIM under the IHS. I do not have confidence in myself enough to delid a cpu (even the vise method seems too rough). Heat is a big issue where my PC is, so I will be using a corsair H100i until I can get up the funds/courage to build a custom loop. I only plan on a minimal overclock if at all. I realize that neither CPU would bottleneck my GTX 780, so this is mostly about features and heat.

I like more SATA3 6.0 native ports, as well as more usb 3.0 from the newer chipset. This will be an everyday use pc that will get some heavy gaming use as well as some video editing. I only upgrade once every 5 years unless something fails first. I leave my pc's on 24/7 whether they are doing anything or not, so this also has to put up with that kind of constant use.
So which would everyone recommend? I will be ordering the parts all in one go the moment I finally decide.

My budget is roughly $2,500-$2,800 so money isn't really an issue either.

Also, am I making a mistake at upgrading now with DDR4 and shrunk dies just around the corner? Would it be smarter of me to just buy the 780, a 120hz monitor, and use them on my MSI x58 platinum SLI mobo @ pci-E 2.0 16x + i7-920 @ 3.0ghz and wait for a real upgrade?

Other intended specs:
EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 3GB GDDR5 384bit x1

Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 256 GB x1 (my first, i'll buy more when they are cheaper)

Assorted high capacity drives totaling 6TB.

Corsair Professional Series 860 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply AX860i

Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i -

Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse

Undecided Mechanical Keyboard

LG Electronics 12x SATA Blu-Ray Disc Combo Internal Drive with 3D Playback and M-DISC (Black) UH12NS29 (for 3D bluray's)

Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition Twin Pack (for H100i)

Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition Twin Pack (front intake, I do not care about noise)

Perhaps a couple of more fans as needed.

NZXT Technologies Switch 810 Gunmetal Case

ASUS PCI-Express x1 7.1 Channel Sound Card (for directional awareness in games using headphones, anyone have another suggestion?)

ASUS VG Series VG278HE 27-Inch 120hz LED backlit - NVIDIA vision 2 Compat.

NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit
a c 803 à CPUs
August 28, 2013 10:02:35 PM

Your CPU is still a damn good one considering its age. Waiting, and just getting GPU, isn't necessarily a bad idea. With that kind of money, you might want to look into an lga 2011 Ivy-E chip when it comes out. The Sandy-E chips have proven to be damn good and still can outperform an i7 4770k. An Ivy-E chip should easily last as long as your i7 920 has now. Quad channel DDR3 will most likely outperform dual channel DDR4. Intel chips don't really benefit much from faster ram anyway. AMD's tend to be more ram speed sensitive.
August 28, 2013 10:34:19 PM

@logainofhades now that is a very good point. I have heard of a serious lack of significant differences with various ram speeds on modern intel's (which is why I was just getting 1600). And the ivy bridge-E's probably won't have onchip video .. seems very promising to me the more I think about it. I wonder if all of the E class chips have a soldered on IHS .. that would solve two problems with heat. Thank you very much.
!