Looking for a cheap video editing/school laptop

I'm not very good with what's what in the computer world, but I need a laptop that has at least 2.0 ghz and at least 4GB ram for video editing, don't plan on playing games at all.

Will be using Microsoft office but I'm sure whatever is powerful enough for video editing is good enough for word/PowerPoint.

Would like to stay under 1000$ if possible.
11 answers Last reply
More about cheap video editing school laptop
  1. Take a look at something like this:

    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

    This comes with an i7 processor (@ 2.4 Ghz), 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a discrete nVidia graphics card, which is a big plus if you happen to be using Adobe video editing software (CUDA cores can be used in addition to CPU for rendering), all for about $820. Maybe this is a little overkill, but again, if you're using Adobe, this could be just the thing. What software are you using?
  2. ACTechy said:
    Take a look at something like this:

    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

    This comes with an i7 processor (@ 2.4 Ghz), 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a discrete nVidia graphics card, which is a big plus if you happen to be using Adobe video editing software (CUDA cores can be used in addition to CPU for rendering), all for about $820. Maybe this is a little overkill, but again, if you're using Adobe, this could be just the thing. What software are you using?

    Probably overkill, lol. Me and my buddies just make bs videos and I edit some game plays off of 360, the capture card I want to get needs what I listed in the first post. I just wasn't sure how expensive those specs were. All I'm really looking for is something fast enough for Netflix, basic Internet stuff, office and light to moderate video editing
  3. Gotcha. Here are a couple more good options for quite a bit less, with your desired CPU speed:

    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l530/

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230985
  4. ACTechy said:
    Gotcha. Here are a couple more good options for quite a bit less, with your desired CPU speed:

    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l530/

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230985

    Thanks for all your help so far. Is it possible to find one that's smaller than 15.6, maybe something like 13/14 inch?
  5. Dallas2256 said:

    Thanks for all your help so far. Is it possible to find one that's smaller than 15.6, maybe something like 13/14 inch?


    Oh yeah:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313052

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256497

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312842
  6. ACTechy said:
    Gotcha. Here are a couple more good options for quite a bit less, with your desired CPU speed:

    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l530/

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230985

    What do you think of this laptop? There is a guy who needs to sell his to pay bills and is asking $800, if its in good shape is that a good price? Are there any specific questions to ask when browsing craigslist?
  7. Dallas2256 said:

    What do you think of this laptop? There is a guy who needs to sell his to pay bills and is asking $800, if its in good shape is that a good price? Are there any specific questions to ask when browsing craigslist?


    Do you have a link?
  8. ACTechy said:
    Dallas2256 said:

    What do you think of this laptop? There is a guy who needs to sell his to pay bills and is asking $800, if its in good shape is that a good price? Are there any specific questions to ask when browsing craigslist?


    Do you have a link?

    Sorry thought I put it.

    http://m.cowboom.com/index.cfm?page=details&contentID=1154531
  9. Dallas2256 said:


    Yeah Alienware is good stuff, from my understanding. I would just be super cautious, it's kinda like the possibility of buying a lemon, since you don't know from experience if anything weird is going on with it; things that might not just show up on a brief look over.
  10. ACTechy said:
    Dallas2256 said:


    Yeah Alienware is good stuff, from my understanding. I would just be super cautious, it's kinda like the possibility of buying a lemon, since you don't know from experience if anything weird is going on with it; things that might not just show up on a brief look over.

    Yeah I think I may just go to bestbuy and try to find an asus or hp with my requirements then look up reviews. Way too many different computers on amazon/ebay. Lol
  11. Dallas2256 said:

    Yeah I think I may just go to bestbuy and try to find an asus or hp with my requirements then look up reviews. Way too many different computers on amazon/ebay. Lol


    haha for sure. if you find what you're looking for at a bestbuy, do your wallet a favor and check to see if you can find the same thing online, bestbuy can really screw you over on pricing a lot of times. Sometimes you can get a deal, but rarely.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Video Editing