Very Specific Video Card Recommendation

mercury529

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I recently received a $300 Coupon from Dell Small business. When I couldn't find anything in the way of desktop processors or motherboards for an upgrade, I looked into video card options. This seems like it may be the best use of the coupon (though if someone thinks there is an even better option, I am certainly open to suggestions).

I am currently trying to decide what the best video card option would be: Dell Small Business Graphic Cards. The options are a bit limited, and unlike on an open market, some of the cards seems priced out inappropriately for their performance. Given that, I had two questions that I would appreciate feedback on.

1.) What video card do you think represents the best value with the $300 coupon?

2.) Has anyone had success getting graphics card price matching/reduction with Dell Small Business?

Thanks a lot.

Well, I wouldn't buy anything from DELL. Not because the products are bad, some are very good, but as you say the price is very high compared with the e-market.

If you can "re-sell" that coupon and get anything from Amzon or Newegg, IMO would be the best way.

mercury529

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply saint19. I'll see if I can't do that. I am not sure what the best way to go about that is though. If you have any suggestions, I am certainly open. I just want to avoid the situation where I give my coupon code and someone uses it and disputes charges.

If it doesn't prove feasible to do that, any thoughts on what my best option would be from Dell?

Thanks again.

mercury529

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I do like Dell's monitors, though I am already set there. I have a U3011 and 2007FP (with another one available if I get a card to handle all 3). That is part of the reason I was considering a video card. I am currently driving them with a 4890 which is reasonably outdated, hot, loud, and unable to support a 3rd monitor.

mercury529

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008

Thanks for helping out. The full list can be found on the link in the original post. The somewhat reasonable possibilities I see are for my use (not sure if there are some candidates for high value resale):

VisionTek 7870 for $310
VisionTek 7950 for $350
VisionTek 7970 for $480
PNY GTX 770 Enthusiast Edition (Not the higher clocks version) for $420

At those prices (free shipping, expensive California tax), I would be inclined to think the 7950 is probably the best bang for my buck. But I have not kept up with video cards lately, so I am not certain. I also inquired about price matching, and they said it was subject to manager approval. If I can get some kind of price matching, then I think the 7970 becomes a more appealing option.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

mercury529

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008

Thanks for the input. I assume the biggest issue with VisionTek is the reference cooler (making for a louder and hotter card)? In a 7970 roundup, it fared well in overclocking but definitely ran hotter and louder than other after-market cards. That was my biggest concern with the card and a good reason to consider trying to sell the coupons (though I haven't had much luck to date on that front).

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It has been quite helpful.

TRENDING THREADS