What happens if I have multiple GPU's (non-SLI) in one computer?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I've been interested in bitcoin mining lately using some spare GPU's I have. However, I have more spares than computers to put them in. One of my PC's has a spare PCI slot. It currently uses a GTX 660. What would happen if I added another graphics card, in this case an ATI Radeon X1300 PCI Graphics Card? I still intend to use the GTX 660 for everything, but would it be possible to still make use of the Radeon card for additional GPU mining? The GUIMiner software I use seems to allow me to select which device I want to use. Would the Radeon X1300 be recognized and usable for computation purposes like this?

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Not 100% sure on this, but I think that the graphics cards would have to be the same brand/compatible with each other in order for it to work properly.

I am pretty certain you CAN just put two graphics cards in your system. Nvidia and ATi wont be happy together, but I mean if you have the card you might as well give it a shot. Its not like anything is going to blow up or whatever.

If you already have the X1300, go for it. Dont buy a X1300 just for it though.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

Ok thanks, i'll give it a try then. Just out of curiosity, what's a more powerful GPU? The Radeon X1300 or a GeForce GT 610? I have both and they're both PCI graphics cards, so I assume their bandwidths are already maxed out, but other than that, is either one significantly better than the other?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

Ok thanks. I figured since I have so many spare GPU's lying around I'd try to utilize all of them to squeeze out as much performance as possible.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

Well I tried it, but it seems the computer won't even start. It will do an initial POST with one beep, but then after that nothing happens. Normally there will be a second beep. But now it won't even reach that and the screen just stays black. Any ideas why this might happening? In fact, I noticed a lot of PCI devices will prevent my computer from starting up...

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

It's a Corsair 750W PSU. I don't remember the exact model number. I don't think the Radeon X1300 requires that much power though considering it's only a PCI graphics card.

It shouldnt require that much power, you are correct. I had the same problem when I tried to run a PCI GT430 with my Radeon HD6950. Wouldnt boot for some reason. I believe it is something with the PCI interface.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

Is it something that can be adjusted in the BIOS? Or is this an absolute limitation of the legacy PCI bus?

Are you trying a PCIe and a PCI card? If so then that could be the issue as they might be trying to use the same IRQ or something.