Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1500 Gaming PC - What do you guys think?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
Share
August 29, 2013 7:04:42 PM

My PC Partpicker list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1x4mb

Budget is around $1500. Building this PC mainly for gaming. Do you guys reckon it will run next gen games really well?

So yeah, what do you guys think? Any upgrades that won't cost too much? Also I don't want to overclock

Do you guys suggest win 8 or 7? I'm really not sure which to go for.. Do I need a fan or should be good?

Also realise these are Australian prices

Thanks lads!!

More about : 1500 gaming guys

a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2013 7:08:02 PM

Looks good to me. Keep in mind you would not be overclocking.

I prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is only good for touch-screen devices.
August 29, 2013 7:17:50 PM

For the amount you are spending on your case, you could get a cheaper one and put the money saved towards a better GPU. Speaking of the GPU, I don't understand why the MSI 760 is $340! For $100 less you could get the same thing: Asus or EVGA 760.
Related resources
August 29, 2013 7:18:15 PM

Deemo13 said:
Looks good to me. Keep in mind you would not be overclocking.

I prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is only good for touch-screen devices.


Yeah don't really want to overclock. I've heard windows 8 is better than 7 in terms of performance, the only downside I suppose is the metro theme which doesnt need to be used. You can set it to boot from the desktop and use a program which puts the start menu in so I'm still not sure :/ 

The only major downside I see with 8 is that games are having some issues with it and this will be a gaming pc. One can hope those issues will be fixed

Cheers for the reply :) 
August 29, 2013 7:19:20 PM

bmanv13 said:
For the amount you are spending on your case, you could get a cheaper one and put the money saved towards a better GPU. Speaking of the GPU, I don't understand why the MSI 760 is $340! For $100 less you could get the same thing: Asus or EVGA 760.


Australian tax mate. It sucks :( 
August 29, 2013 7:20:55 PM

KantusThiss said:
Deemo13 said:
Looks good to me. Keep in mind you would not be overclocking.

I prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is only good for touch-screen devices.


Yeah don't really want to overclock. I've heard windows 8 is better than 7 in terms of performance, the only downside I suppose is the metro theme which doesnt need to be used. You can set it to boot from the desktop and use a program which puts the start menu in so I'm still not sure :/ 

The only major downside I see with 8 is that games are having some issues with it and this will be a gaming pc. One can hope those issues will be fixed

Cheers for the reply :) 


I would recommend using Windows 7. Yes, it is true that Windows 8 has better performance than 7, but the catch is, you will not notice the difference. Also, I heard that Windows 8 has compatibility issues with recent games and some GPUs. And yes, the keyword here is "hope" that they will polish this up.
August 29, 2013 7:23:38 PM

bmanv13 said:
KantusThiss said:
Deemo13 said:
Looks good to me. Keep in mind you would not be overclocking.

I prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is only good for touch-screen devices.


Yeah don't really want to overclock. I've heard windows 8 is better than 7 in terms of performance, the only downside I suppose is the metro theme which doesnt need to be used. You can set it to boot from the desktop and use a program which puts the start menu in so I'm still not sure :/ 

The only major downside I see with 8 is that games are having some issues with it and this will be a gaming pc. One can hope those issues will be fixed

Cheers for the reply :) 


I would recommend using Windows 7. Yes, it is true that Windows 8 has better performance than 7, but the catch is, you will not notice the difference. Also, I heard that Windows 8 has compatibility issues with recent games and some GPUs. And yes, the keyword here is "hope" that they will polish this up.


Thanks, this is the reply I was looking for :) 
August 29, 2013 7:31:09 PM

KantusThiss said:
bmanv13 said:
For the amount you are spending on your case, you could get a cheaper one and put the money saved towards a better GPU. Speaking of the GPU, I don't understand why the MSI 760 is $340! For $100 less you could get the same thing: Asus or EVGA 760.


Australian tax mate. It sucks :( 


Oh wow that is something else. I feel bad for you. But my question to you is, can you find a cheaper case? And are you talking about a case fan? The case should already come with at least one fan so you should be good. But they are relatively cheap so if you notice any overheating issues later down the road, it wouldn't hurt to add another case fan.
August 29, 2013 8:13:01 PM

bmanv13 said:
KantusThiss said:
bmanv13 said:
For the amount you are spending on your case, you could get a cheaper one and put the money saved towards a better GPU. Speaking of the GPU, I don't understand why the MSI 760 is $340! For $100 less you could get the same thing: Asus or EVGA 760.


Australian tax mate. It sucks :( 


Oh wow that is something else. I feel bad for you. But my question to you is, can you find a cheaper case? And are you talking about a case fan? The case should already come with at least one fan so you should be good. But they are relatively cheap so if you notice any overheating issues later down the road, it wouldn't hurt to add another case fan.


yeah ill probs go for a cheaper case :) 
August 29, 2013 8:13:41 PM

Magic17 said:
"there is a deal going on the the ram thats going on from newegg.
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) Desktop Memory Kit [newegg.com]
Apply Code: GSKILLBTSAUG at checkout
Price (after coupon): $89.25 + Free Shipping"
link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=0OPXnhEb...

Source : http://slickdeals.net/f/6247278-16GB-2x8GB-G-Skill-Snip...
I'm not taking credit for finding the deal, just passing it along


Sadly I can't buy it. I live in Aus and newegg doesn't ship here :( 
August 29, 2013 9:16:25 PM

lol darn, I tried :p 
!