Overclocking locked multiplier cpus

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hi guys,

I hear a lot of people say you cant overclock a i5 2500 or a g860 etc, because the multiplier is locked, and its stated like thats it, end of story, like a Dell.

Ok i understand the multiplier is locked, but here i am with a core 2 duo E6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz from 2.4Ghz, a pretty good overclock, done through increasing the FSB as the multiplier is locked. So what would stop me overclocking a G860 via the FSB?

Is it just that a G860 or i5 2500 hits an FSB wall with only minor increases, or is it that there isnt much room for increases in terms of voltage and heat? is it the mobos have changed in some way? Can you no longer set the Ram divider so the memory tops out quickly? what is it?

What has changed since my socket 775 and my E6600 that stops me overclocking in the same way. I would like to know so when i upgrade my cpu soon i can make a better judgement.

Thanks

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Thanks, so the newer processors (sandybridge/ivybridge/haswell) just dont tolerate much of an increase in FSB before they become unstable, so the only way to get any real increase in performance is to up the multiplier, which you obviously cant do if its locked.

matteyallen

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Thanks, if thats how things are then thats how things are, i like to tinker so for me it will have to be an intel k or amd black edition then. It seems like as time has gone on the posibilities and options with overclocking have reduced and the difference it makes in performance is getting less, that goes for graphics cards and RAM as well.

I hear intel are going to put the voltage controller in the cpu as well soon, meaning differing motherboards will have less of an effect on overclocking as well.