First Time Build - Gaming / Editing PC + Questions

soongj

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Greetings from Singapore!

I'm really new to PC building and I've just compiled a list of parts for a USD 1200 gaming (and occasional editing) PC. If possible, could you guys take a look and offer feedback on how I can improve on this build?

I also have a couple of questions and I've written them after the following list.

CPU
Intel Core i5-4670K

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

GPU
Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 X

PSU
Corsair HX650

RAM
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB

Case
Corsair Carbide 500R

SSD
Samsung 840 Series 120GB

HDD
WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Optical Drive
ASUS 24x DVD-RW

OS
Windows 8 Professional 64-bit

### ### ###

Here are the questions I'd like to clarify:

1) For the power supply, will getting the bronze-certified TX650 mean a big downgrade from the gold-certified HX650? If they don't have too much of a difference, I may consider taking the bronze one instead.

2) For the graphics card, is there an option better than the HD7950 in terms of performance and value, but still within the high-mid range? The assortment of GTX 760 cards out there seem to be quite pricey.

Thanks for taking your time to read this! Any helpful comment will be appreciated!

\ ^~^ /

mr1hm

Distinguished
hey there,

everything looks quite good, as for your questions:
1. i don't really look at anything above 80+ Bronze certified but, it's true that the gold certification will be better at maintaining constant power at higher loads on the PSU but, i don't think you'll be even close to loading it to 80%.

2. you could aim for the HD 7970 for $299.99 and $279.99 after rebate, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008. also, a gtx 670 from MSI is at the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127675

this is completely optional but, i just dont like spending so much on a PC case. id get a decent case for around $40-$50 and use the remaining cash to get a better motherboard :)