Sign in with
Your question

Ask Me Anything - Cooler Master Cosmos SE / HAF Stacker

Last response: in Components
August 30, 2013 8:58:39 AM

Hey there friends!

On the heels of their last successful AMA here on Tom's Hardware, Cooler Master has reached out to us for an opportunity to answer any questions you might have about the Cosmos SE and HAF Stacker launch which was unveiled today at PAX in Seattle.

Official Cooler Master Representatives are here to answer any question you might have on the new chassis. Whatever information they can share without their lawyers stopping them, they will - so have at it!

By way of introduction, the Cosmos SE is a mid-tower that carries on the legacy of the Cosmos S. HAF Stacker is a mod-tower that's purpose built. It's unique, and CM is patenting the design.

With that said, I leave the floor open for questions from you, and answers from Jonathan Loo and other CM reps.

Have fun!

Yours,
Joe Pishgar
Community Manager, Tom's Hardware
August 30, 2013 10:18:43 AM

My name is Jon, and I am a Senior Product Manager here in Cooler Master USA. HAF Stacker is unveiled today as well as Cosmos SE earlier this week. Anything is fair game.

This is the first mass production expandable PC chassis system to support multiple PC systems and multiple water cooling. You can make them independent or whatever configuration you wish.

September 9, 2013 6:47:52 AM

How is the PSU mounted on the 915F? Does it intake air from the front of the case? i.e. outside air?
Related resources
September 9, 2013 4:56:38 PM

rattlehead2112 said:
How is the PSU mounted on the 915F? Does it intake air from the front of the case? i.e. outside air?

We designed it to intake fresh air from the bottom through a dust filter and exhaust out the front through the mesh.
September 9, 2013 8:10:56 PM

Jon_CM said:
rattlehead2112 said:

We designed it to intake fresh air from the bottom through a dust filter and exhaust out the front through the mesh.

Ok, that's so that the drive bay can be fitted right?
And in this case the cpu will have a hihg cooler clearance

What is the CPU clearance for a 915R?
September 9, 2013 11:00:47 PM

rattlehead2112 said:
Jon_CM said:
rattlehead2112 said:

Ok, that's so that the drive bay can be fitted right?
And in this case the cpu will have a hihg cooler clearance

What is the CPU clearance for a 915R?

80mm is the clearance on 915R and 170mm is the clearance on 915F.
September 10, 2013 9:17:06 AM

The max fan size on the sides?

No mounting for fans/ radiators on the top right?

For my next build I'm looking for a well ventilated miniITX standalone case,
915F looks like a good option!
September 19, 2013 2:19:33 AM

Just a common question: what is the name of that thing which is placed above Processor, and some thermal paste is applied between them.
Let call that component "X"
So please tell me the name of that component and also tell me that is there any X in which we don't have to apply thermal paste or the thermal paste is pre-applied?
September 29, 2013 7:56:07 AM

Hi,
i have had a Coolermaster K-280 Mid Tower Case for about 6 months now and i lost the box which had the hdd bays and stuff which came with the case, and im in need of this part which im not sure what its called. however i can describe to you what it looks like and its role
so its a twisting mechanism thing which hold the hardrives and dvd drives in like a screw except its simple and twist and turn
if you have any suggestions on what this is called please let me know
thanks alot
October 5, 2013 8:37:54 AM

Hi,
I plan on soon getting a new case but not for ultra water cooling to any extent. can you tell me what this case offers me when I am just a gamer who wants a nice looking case?
October 15, 2013 5:43:38 AM

however i can describe to you what it looks like and its role so its a twisting mechanism WOW Gold thing which hold the hardrives and dvd drives in like a screw except its simple and twist and turn if you have any suggestions on what this is called please let me know
October 15, 2013 5:45:51 AM

This is the first mass WOW Gold production expandable PC chassis system to support multiple PC systems and multiple water cooling. You can make them independent or whatever configuration you wish.
November 3, 2013 4:33:02 AM

isn't the HAF 915F too big for a min itx case?
November 3, 2013 10:49:40 AM

The Coolermaster N200 is a micro ATX, and not a mini ITX. It has the same depth as a normal sized ATX case far as i'm concerned. I guess I'll just have to try and fit it in.
November 3, 2013 6:53:33 PM

Hi, it says here that the Cosmos SE is classified as a mid-tower, but I read the size comparison, and it easily looks large enough in physical dimensions to be a full tower. Also has quite a number of expansion capabilities. I find it pretty much everything on an average full tower on it--what's missing?
November 4, 2013 7:38:45 PM

cerefo said:
Just a common question: what is the name of that thing which is placed above Processor, and some thermal paste is applied between them.
Let call that component "X"
So please tell me the name of that component and also tell me that is there any X in which we don't have to apply thermal paste or the thermal paste is pre-applied?

Ok... that is called a CPU cooler. Air cooling has a heatsink with a fan mounted to it to dissipate the heat from it. The heat reaches the heatsink like this: the heat from the CPU is transferred to the thermal paste, which transfers it to normally heat pipes, which transfer it to the heatsink to be blown away by the fan. Some heatsinks (like the stock heatsink that comes with your CPU) have preapplied thermal paste. I do not know if there is a CPU cooler that doesn't need any thermal paste, or if that is even possible...
November 6, 2013 9:12:48 AM

Impressed by the Cosmos II, I've rushed to buy the Cosmos SE as soon as I heard about it. I'm not a gamer so I don't plan to add a powerful GPU, instead I wanted to build a powerful workstation, so I thought the Cosmos SE would be perfect for the job. To be frank I'm a bit disappointed. The design looks good on first glance, but when I actually received the case it felt a bit cheap.

The side panels are simple and thin steel they don't compress well, much like any ordinary case. The buttons don't feel smooth (power button got stuck a little). The space inside is not THAT big. I expected a lot bigger having seen the Cosmos II on a show. My sata connectors on the motherboard are on the side and it is very dificult to connect a new cable without getting the mb off. And they are directly above the rubber openings for the cables which makes things a bit tight: http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10...

No fan control is also a bit of a turn off for a case with 5+ fans. So much space for hard drives, but not a single internal SATA tray for hot-swapping.

I expected to receive something more high class being in that price range, but the fact is, it is just miles away in terms of build quality from his "big brother" cosmos II, not even close.

So my question is, should I replace it for a cosmos II? Like I said I don't plan to get a big powerful GPU. However it's still a workstation with i-4770K, I plan to add water cooling, and I want to have quick access to the inside, maybe swap some hard drive. The only reason I didn't went for the cosmos II is the VERY big size and it's price. But now that I've seen that cosmos SE isn't what I expected, should I replace it for Cosmos II?
November 7, 2013 1:29:06 PM

how is the airflow between the individual pieces of the half stacker handled? do the botoms/ top of the cases remove allow unrestricted airflow ect.
November 11, 2013 11:22:23 PM

Hello I'm considering buying a cooler master storm Stryker (sorry of topic). I'm pretty noob on cases. I read in a review its better to put extra fans at the bottom to increase airflow but I have heard somewhere that of you put fans at the bottom you increase the amount of extra dust going in. How do I prevent it?
November 12, 2013 2:29:02 AM

jeff8297229 said:
Hello I'm considering buying a cooler master storm Stryker (sorry of topic). I'm pretty noob on cases. I read in a review its better to put extra fans at the bottom to increase airflow but I have heard somewhere that of you put fans at the bottom you increase the amount of extra dust going in. How do I prevent it?

Hi jeff,

The CM Storm Stryker has dust filters in the bottom. So if you clean them often, the amount of dust getting into your case will less to none.
You can check the gallery of the CM Storm Stryker at this link.
Here you can see the dust filters and how easy it will be to clean them since they are removable.

Hope this will help you!
November 12, 2013 3:04:08 AM

legokill101 said:
how is the airflow between the individual pieces of the half stacker handled? do the botoms/ top of the cases remove allow unrestricted airflow ect.

Hi legokill101,

There are small holes, but it will not give you unrestricted airflow. Only the possibility to run your tubing for watercooling or cables through it.
November 12, 2013 4:33:00 AM

spiritfly said:
Impressed by the Cosmos II, I've rushed to buy the Cosmos SE as soon as I heard about it. I'm not a gamer so I don't plan to add a powerful GPU, instead I wanted to build a powerful workstation, so I thought the Cosmos SE would be perfect for the job. To be frank I'm a bit disappointed. The design looks good on first glance, but when I actually received the case it felt a bit cheap.

The side panels are simple and thin steel they don't compress well, much like any ordinary case. The buttons don't feel smooth (power button got stuck a little). The space inside is not THAT big. I expected a lot bigger having seen the Cosmos II on a show. My sata connectors on the motherboard are on the side and it is very dificult to connect a new cable without getting the mb off. And they are directly above the rubber openings for the cables which makes things a bit tight: http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10...

No fan control is also a bit of a turn off for a case with 5+ fans. So much space for hard drives, but not a single internal SATA tray for hot-swapping.

I expected to receive something more high class being in that price range, but the fact is, it is just miles away in terms of build quality from his "big brother" cosmos II, not even close.

So my question is, should I replace it for a cosmos II? Like I said I don't plan to get a big powerful GPU. However it's still a workstation with i-4770K, I plan to add water cooling, and I want to have quick access to the inside, maybe swap some hard drive. The only reason I didn't went for the cosmos II is the VERY big size and it's price. But now that I've seen that cosmos SE isn't what I expected, should I replace it for Cosmos II?

Hi,

The COSMOS SE is meant to be the little brother of the COSMOS II. Therefore it has not the same options as on the COSMOS II. So if you like the COSMOS II then I should go for the COSMOS II again. If you want a good fan controller, you can also look at the CM Storm Stryker/Trooper.
My suggestion is to go back to the store you bought it and try to get your money back.

Hope this will help you!
November 12, 2013 9:46:30 AM

CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:

Hi,

The COSMOS SE is meant to be the little brother of the COSMOS II. Therefore it has not the same options as on the COSMOS II. So if you like the COSMOS II then I should go for the COSMOS II again. If you want a good fan controller, you can also look at the CM Storm Stryker/Trooper.
My suggestion is to go back to the store you bought it and try to get your money back.

Hope this will help you!

I'm afraid that the store where I bought it is not in my city and even if it was they won't return it back. The thing is that your colleague here, Patrick, suggested that I should go for a 240 water cooling, and that he placed his as an exhaust on the top position so I instantly bought the Cooler Master Seidon 240M without doubts that it might not fit in.

Well if you read my latest post on this topic, it seems like the 240m radiator won't fit in the Cosmos SE. I'm very disappointed by this, especially by the fact that Cooler Master representatives suggest setups which in reality do not work. I worked hard to get those components and I was very enthusiastic about this piece of hardware that I was going to build. I wanted to write a neat review about it on my blog, but now it's all ruined. And I'm also short on time for this. I need to get rid of my old PC soon and the new one is still sitting opened up on the table.

I came here to ask professionals and was all excited that official representatives answered to me, but now I'm left in the middle of nowhere. Greatly disappointed by all of this.
November 13, 2013 2:19:02 PM

Dear Spiritfly,

I suggested how I have my radiator fans setup in my own personal case. As I stated in your thread regarding your Cosmos SE, you can install the fans in the exhaust or intake position since this is merely personal preference. Which every option you choose, the fans will need to be installed at the top of the case since Cosmos SE will not support the push/pull configuration that you are trying to accomplish.

I apologize that you are upset with my answers but I have done my best to help you with every questions you have asked.

Please let me know if there is anything more that I can help you with
November 14, 2013 2:52:21 AM

spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:

Hi,

Hope this will help you!

I'm afraid that the store where I bought it is not in my city and even if it was they won't return it back. The thing is that your colleague here, Patrick, suggested that I should go for a 240 water cooling, and that he placed his as an exhaust on the top position so I instantly bought the Cooler Master Seidon 240M without doubts that it might not fit in.

Well if you read my latest post on this topic, it seems like the 240m radiator won't fit in the Cosmos SE. I'm very disappointed by this, especially by the fact that Cooler Master representatives suggest setups which in reality do not work. I worked hard to get those components and I was very enthusiastic about this piece of hardware that I was going to build. I wanted to write a neat review about it on my blog, but now it's all ruined. And I'm also short on time for this. I need to get rid of my old PC soon and the new one is still sitting opened up on the table.

I came here to ask professionals and was all excited that official representatives answered to me, but now I'm left in the middle of nowhere. Greatly disappointed by all of this.

Hi Spiritfly,

i tried some setups for you with the Cosmos SE and the Seidon 240M in push pull configuration. You can only create the Push Pull by installing the watercooling in the front of the case, for more info please check the manual on page 6 and 7.
Although there is not enough room in the top panel to create a Push Pull effect, the Pull effect that you can create in the top panel should be enough for a system

What you can do about the 1 bay you have left: You can check page 11 of the manual.
There you find a way to create an extra bay so you can still have 2 drive bays. This still creates a good amount of airflow in the case for cooling.

If you have any questions left, feel free to ask them!
November 14, 2013 6:31:56 PM

CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:

Hi,

Hope this will help you!

Hi Spiritfly,

i tried some setups for you with the Cosmos SE and the Seidon 240M in push pull configuration. You can only create the Push Pull by installing the watercooling in the front of the case, for more info please check the manual on page 6 and 7.
Although there is not enough room in the top panel to create a Push Pull effect, the Pull effect that you can create in the top panel should be enough for a system

What you can do about the 1 bay you have left: You can check page 11 of the manual.
There you find a way to create an extra bay so you can still have 2 drive bays. This still creates a good amount of airflow in the case for cooling.

I've already put it on the top position in pull config and it seems fine by now. I've also ordered two slim fans 15mm thin which should fit exactly below the radiator for a push effect. So that part should be solved.

The single effective drive bay is my only concern for now. I could do what you suggested on page 11 of the manual, but I still want both the fans on front. Is there a way to move them a few centimeters lower so they both stay on front?

And one last thing I'm a bit concerned is the tight space for the cables. The space behind the motherboard is FULL of cables and I barely closed it pushing it very hard. But it seems that there is no other way to organize the cables if you want a tidy look with better airflow. Any suggestion on how to organize the cables better?
November 14, 2013 11:51:35 PM

spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:

Hi,

Hope this will help you!

Hi Spiritfly,

I've already put it on the top position in pull config and it seems fine by now. I've also ordered two slim fans 15mm thin which should fit exactly below the radiator for a push effect. So that part should be solved.

The single effective drive bay is my only concern for now. I could do what you suggested on page 11 of the manual, but I still want both the fans on front. Is there a way to move them a few centimeters lower so they both stay on front?

And one last thing I'm a bit concerned is the tight space for the cables. The space behind the motherboard is FULL of cables and I barely closed it pushing it very hard. But it seems that there is no other way to organize the cables if you want a tidy look with better airflow. Any suggestion on how to organize the cables better?

Hi Spiritfly,

I will go and test if I can find a solution for the 2 front fans.
Could you send me pictures of your cable management so I can reproduce the amount of cables you use and see if I can find a solution?

Update on the 2 front fans.
This is what I did together with the Technical department.
This will fix the 2 fans in the front, but will block off the 2 bottom hdd bays. You could also remove the bottom hdd bays to increase the airflow even more if you are really into that and are not going to use it.
How I installed the fans, they are still stable, but if you'd like more stability, you can use the brackets
photo1
photo2

You could also try to use this bracket that is meant for the water cooling mounting in front. You can use it to support the bottom most fan but it will require some tweaking.
photo3

Hope this will help you. If not, please let me know!
November 18, 2013 8:50:47 AM

CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:

Hi,

Hope this will help you!

Hi Spiritfly,

Hi Spiritfly,

Could you send me pictures of your cable management so I can reproduce the amount of cables you use and see if I can find a solution?

This will fix the 2 fans in the front, but will block off the 2 bottom hdd bays. You could also remove the bottom hdd bays to increase the airflow even more if you are really into that and are not going to use it.
How I installed the fans, they are still stable, but if you'd like more stability, you can use the brackets
photo1
photo2

You could also try to use this bracket that is meant for the water cooling mounting in front. You can use it to support the bottom most fan but it will require some tweaking.
photo3

This is exactly what I wanted to accomplish and I wasn't sure if I could remove the top two sata racks alone. Now with this mod I think it is exactly what I wanted to do! Thank you so much for taking the time to test this and help me!

I've set the fans on the 240 radiator on top in the pull direction and it seems like they are doing a great job. For the push/pull setup, I've ordered two slim fans and they should fit exactly below the radiator for the push effect.

I will write a nice detailed review once everything is complete and post here some pics.

Thanks a lot Nick, good job on this!
November 19, 2013 12:21:55 AM

spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:
CM Nick said:
spiritfly said:

Hi,

Hope this will help you!

Hi Spiritfly,

Hi Spiritfly,

photo1
photo2

photo3

This is exactly what I wanted to accomplish and I wasn't sure if I could remove the top two sata racks alone. Now with this mod I think it is exactly what I wanted to do! Thank you so much for taking the time to test this and help me!

I've set the fans on the 240 radiator on top in the pull direction and it seems like they are doing a great job. For the push/pull setup, I've ordered two slim fans and they should fit exactly below the radiator for the push effect.

I will write a nice detailed review once everything is complete and post here some pics.

Thanks a lot Nick, good job on this!

Hi Spiritfly,

Glad I could be of any help :) 
Hope you will love the case from now on:)  And I am looking forward to see the pictures and a link to the review of course.

If you need any help in the future, you know where to find me.
December 8, 2013 12:55:15 PM

Hi,
Im' going to buy the new coolermaster cosmos SE. I want to ask what graphic card dimensions can i put into without removing any brackets??
December 8, 2013 11:31:56 PM

sagouras said:
Hi,
Im' going to buy the new coolermaster cosmos SE. I want to ask what graphic card dimensions can i put into without removing any brackets??

Hi sagouras,

This information can be found on our website under the "Specs" section.
The maximum compatibility for GPU's are as following:
with HDD bracket: 276mm / 10.9 inch
without HDD bracket: 395mm / 15.5 inch

I you have any other question, feel free to ask!
December 9, 2013 1:18:04 PM

Thank you very much!
December 16, 2013 5:22:57 PM

I'm building soon with a CM Storm Stryker Full Tower Case and saw the Trooper... What's the difference between the two?
December 16, 2013 11:29:00 PM

Hi Christopher,

The only difference between the 2 is the color. The Stryker is white and the Trooper is black.
December 17, 2013 10:33:48 AM

Hello Christopher Gonzalez,

A few other differences are that the Trooper comes with Red led fans vs White with the Stryker. The Trooper does not have the windowed side panel and the trooper comes with E-SATA port where the Stryker does not.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.
February 23, 2014 3:06:50 PM

Is this thread still being monitored by Cooler Master? If so, I have a few questions about the Cosmos SE. I am looking to buy it for a new computer build.

1. Are the included front LED fans connected to the motherboard fan controllers? And can their speed be controlled via the ASUS Fan Xpert software (assuming I have an ASUS motherboard)? Or do they just run at a constant speed?

2. What about the top and rear (non-LED) fans that come with the case? Can their speed be controlled via the ASUS software? Or do they run at a constant speed?

3. If I install a strip of LED lights in the case, can it also be connected to the on/off switch on the top of the case so that the switch turns off ALL the lights?

4. If I replace the front LED fans with upgraded LED fans, can the LEDs on the replacement fans be controlled with the on/off switch? Are they standard connectors or some sort of proprietary setup? Just wondering if the switch would be rendered useless if I made any modifications.

Thanks for any assistance,

David
February 23, 2014 11:48:21 PM

Hi yesdave! Yes we are still monitoring this thread.

yesdave said:
1. Are the included front LED fans connected to the motherboard fan controllers? And can their speed be controlled via the ASUS Fan Xpert software (assuming I have an ASUS motherboard)? Or do they just run at a constant speed?

The 2 provided LED fans can be connected to the motherboard and can be controlled by software. Not sure if there will be differences with the type of software you use.

yesdave said:
2. What about the top and rear (non-LED) fans that come with the case? Can their speed be controlled via the ASUS software? Or do they run at a constant speed?

Also those fans can be controlled by software. However it can occur that on a certain level of wattage, the fans will stop. So you have to test that for yourself.

yesdave said:
3. If I install a strip of LED lights in the case, can it also be connected to the on/off switch on the top of the case so that the switch turns off ALL the lights?

There are 2 connectors for the on/off function of the case. So then you have to make a decision in which you want to control. Or maybe put non-LED fans in the front and only LED strips throughout the complete case. (I heard of people splitting the 2 cables into more, but this is not recommended as we don't know how many it can take)

yesdave said:
4. If I replace the front LED fans with upgraded LED fans, can the LEDs on the replacement fans be controlled with the on/off switch? Are they standard connectors or some sort of proprietary setup? Just wondering if the switch would be rendered useless if I made any modifications.

I provided a picture of the 2 connectors. What I can recommend (as I also did it myself) is to get some non-LED fans and use LED strips to light your case. This way you won't have the issue of deciding which fans to connect to the on-off switch.
(a link to the image if it is not working: image)

Any more questions, please let me know!

February 24, 2014 4:12:56 AM

Nick,

Great, thank you for the information. That is very helpful!

By the way, what non-LED fans did you replace your front fans with? I'd like this to be as quiet as possible.My last computer sounded like a jet taking off.

David
!