HDMI on a monitor without VGA?

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hi, I'm going to use two monitors soon, I want to use one for gaming, and another for miscellaneous things such as watching youtube videos, SGA, etc... however, my monitor that I want to do miscellaneous things on doesn't have a HDMI port only a single VGA, so would this work?

GPU>VGA to HDMI>HDMI cable>HDMI to VGA>VGA port

Would I see HDMI, or VGA quality?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Some people have good luck with those HDMI to VGA converters, some don't. I've never had the reason to use one. Using two of those converters would be asking for problems. But if your card has a DVI-I port, you can use the supplied DVI to VGA adapter and run a VGA cable. Your display will receive a VGA (analog) signal.

Any time that you use an adaptor that changes from one type to another then you will always get the lowest quality of what's used. If a VGA is used in the euation then that's the highest quality that you will be able to get. If your eguation has DVI and HDMI then you will not have sound but you will have HD quality.

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Just realised that I have a hdmi port on my graphics card, so I would see HDMI right? Like inzone said, it converts one type to another, so it would convert VGA to HDMI, at which point I don't need another convertor into the GPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What you'll end up with is a digital signal (HDMI) converted to analog (VGA). If you can find the converter you want, it should work. But I can't say how well.

That's why I suggested using the DVI port on your gfx card together with the DVI/VGA dongle they give you free with the card. DVI-I (the DVI port with the 4 holes around the horz bar) carries both analog and digital. No conversion necessary. What gfx card do you have?

When making the connections from the video card to the monitor you want to see what connections the card has and what connections the monitor has and whether of no you will be using speakers on the monitor.

If there are no speakers on the monitor then you can use either HDMI or DVI to get a HD picture, if there are speakers and you want sound coming out of them then you need HDMI.
On the second monitor you don't really need the speakers so you can use DVI for that one. Most video cards will have two DVI one HDMI and one display port. The older cards will have one HDMI , one DVI and one VGA.

If you would list what connections you have on the video card and each monitor then we can tell you the best set up.

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Damn, I really wanted HDMI, shame my monitor doesn't have a HDMI port. I currently have a gt 630, and a syncmaster 943, Ill be getting a Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD and a AOC e2343Fi, and keeping the syncmaster 943, and possibly using the gt 630 as a PPU.