Confused with graphics card and coprocessor

zeldapkmn

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I'm confused because I'm looking to buy an HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition, and it says the graphics coprocessor is Nvidia GeForce GT 630M on Amazon, and on the official HP site it says the graphics card is Intel HD 3000. What's the difference between the coprocessor and the card, and if I buy the PC from HP, will I still get Nvidia graphics? How much would it cost to upgrade to a 1920x1080 resolution, because the PC usually comes with 1600x900 res, and what affect would the 1920x1080 have on the fps?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

I looked up the laptop you're talking about, and the thing is that there are different and not so easily labeled versions of it. The laptop is customizable as well, meaning to an extent you select the parts you want. However, different retailers customize the parts and sell it, or they've bought an older version of the same laptop which has different parts available, and overall there's a whole mess of things meant to confuse consumers like you and all and have you pay more for your purchase. However, the point is, if you're thinking about buying it for gaming, don't.

That laptop is awful for gaming. If you want a good gaming laptop for that price range, $800 - $1,200, here's what I recommend:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

the leftmost laptop, the IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59369999 - Dusk Black, is great considering the price. It has a FAR better proccesor and graphics card than what you were looking at before.

Addendum: Just to clarify on the difference between a few things you were asking, the laptop you were wondering about, which, again, is an absolute piece of crap designed to confuse and rip off consumers, had multiple variants offered.

One of those variants offered a "GT 630M", is what's known as a graphics processing unit (GPU, a.k.a. Graphics Card or Video Card). Back in the days of computing infancy, Central Processing Units (CPUs, a.k.a. just "Processors") handled everything graphical. As time went on it was discovered that the performance of a computer could be increased by offloading tasks from the processor onto a "coprocessor", which is a processor designed strictly to handle one task. Initially when coprocessing was becoming a thing, there were tons of different coprocessors, from basic math coprocessors to signaling, to encryption and decryption, and of course, graphics, hence "graphics processing unit".

Today, the number of coprocessors has really been numbered down, and most things are really just handled by the processor. However, because of the demands presented by 3D games and modeling and such, a graphics coprocessor, or just a "GPU", is still in high demand and is an extremely commonplace thing in just about any commercial computer.

zeldapkmn

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013

Thank you so much!! Looking to buy this month! :) Thanks!