PC freezes under CPU load

alanh678

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I built a pc a couple months ago and everything worked fine up until recently when I switched the stock intel cooler for an nh-14 and began tinkering with overclocking on my 3570k. After running prime95 stable at 4.2 ghz 1.2 vcore for about twenty minutes I became impatient and bumped the multiplier to 45 but the system didn't boot.
After that, the pc would crash under any kind of heavy load, like Battlefield3, even on stock settings. And when I first turn on the pc, the windows services amd controller app would have high cpu usage so I'd kill it in the task manager which would restart the pc and fix it.
I have not the slightest clue what the cause of this crashing problem could be. Whenever I try to run prime95, the screen freezes and the pc then restarts. Max temps with the cooler are around 60, so I'm sure heat isn't a problem.
What I'm mainly wondering is if this is a hardware or software issue with Windows 8.

Possible causes I have thought of could be:
I used only 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean the thermal paste off the cpu but gave it a while to dry.
Something wrong with windows after the failed bootup.
Bad cpu or motherboard that just happened to fail coincidentally at this time.
Virus that norton can't detect.

What I've tried so far:
Reinstalling video driver.
Running norton anti virus scan.
I plan on refreshing Windows 8 and if that doesn't work maybe reinstalling it all over again.
Running Mdsched.exe.

PC specs:
i5-3570k
MSI z77a-45
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB
G. skill ripjaws 8 GB 1600 Mhz
WD 1 TB HDD Blue
Corsair GS600 PSU

alanh678

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
UPDATE: I did a complete reinstall of Windows 8 and it seems to have fixed the services and controller app problem, but the system still freezes running prime95 after 10 minutes.