Fresh out of the box downloads?

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
We are about to retire our old computer, and buy a new one, and a lot has changed since the old days of: “Dude you’re getting a Dell”. So we are asking for some friendly advice:

When you take your brand new computer out of the box and hook it up to the internet for the first time, what are the first ten programs that you download?

We want to flesh out our new computer with lots of great stuff including the free games or programs that are just for fun;

For example:

1) Microsoft Security Essentials
2) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
3) Adobe Reader
4) Adobe Flash Player
5) Quicktime Player
6) Real Player
7) Open Office
8) Safari
9) Chrome
10) Express Rip

etc…

Thanks a lot!

USAFRet

Titan
www.ninite.com, and check the boxes for stuff you want. One small download, one 'install', no toolbars.

Not affiliated with them, just like it and have used it for years on just about every build I make.

I would recommend Foxit reader instead of Adobe Reader. It's free and very efficient and it doesn't expect you to update it every few days. Just when you've got the computer running in the morning - Adobe wants to restart because of its update - most annoying.

my personal list in order?

1)kaspersky antivirus 2013 (never had a single virus on this. its the only one i trust for my own pcs)
2)google chrome (much better than ie!)
3)microsoft office 2010 (i dont like the new ver and i got this one from my company!)
4)adobe photoshop cs2 (dont have the new ver!)
5)adobe reader x (it has 3d pdf support which i use)

thats about it until i find a program that i need in the future then i download it at that time.

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Great Replies, Thanks!

I'll print them so that I can download them before surfing online!

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm not one to recommend stuffing a system with unnecessary stuff but it's going to accumulate anyway so one more addition is CCleaner. It's a free clutter cleaner with some other tools but it's best just to use it as a cleaner once every two weeks or so. It picks out all the small files that come with surfing - hundreds for every page you view - and clears hem out. It also has a registry cleaner which only takes out what is no longer needed but if it down find entries it wants to deal with, I suggest you accept its offer of a backup.

It's free - not worth buying the higher level version - from http://www.piriform.com.