PC dead after installing GPU; the cause?

TotallyNotMikey

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hey there. Today I replaces my 9600gt with an MSI 2gb gtx 660 OC edition graphics card. After plugging everything in and installing drivers , I tried to play a game. The screen went black , the GPU fan started shrieking and I smelt burning. I quickly switched off my PC and checked everything was seated properly. Again, GPU freaks out and a burning smell. I later noticed a wire from my PSU was burnt to a crisp, and I could no longer turn the PC on because of a PCI e power error message. I have a few question ;

1. What caused this? My PSU was a fairly cheap brand but nonetheless 700w. Was the GPU too much for the PSU to handle?
2. I have ordered a corsair hx750. Is this sufficient?

Note, the fire didn't spread , only that wire was extra crispy.

Tldr; PSU wire caught fire because of my new GPU. What was the cause?

TotallyNotMikey

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

The cheap brand was alphapower. The PC runs just fine without the card , so I'm guessing the wire that fried was the pcie power. The thing is, I had to use molex splitters then a 6 pin adapter to get 6 pin for my GPU.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

I think the problem is in ur psu if I were u I may check the gpu pci slot that may could burn due to of psu so u should go and buy at least 80 +plus bronze psu today psu are cheaper u can get that at 50 bucks easily and make sure to check the gpu on other system so that u could consider u r gpu safe other wise rush to msi for rma cheers bro

TotallyNotMikey

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

I removed the power supply and all wires and am happy to say all slots are in top notch quality, and that the only thing damaged was the PSU wire. I have a HX750 by corsair coming tomorrow. Will that be enough to make sure every component has the power it needs?

And, I shall return the GPU if the corsair starts doing the same thing , but I'm highly doubtful it will.