Core Temperatues are scorching, could thermal paste be the problem?

Ocarina007

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
So, I installed a new power supply a couple of days ago. In order to do this, I had to remove the heatsink from the CPU. Well, things didn't seem right so I installed the old one and turned it on, the computer had a 2 second delay and the fan would speed up to what seemed like it's maximum then turn off. So, I waited a day, and now there is no delay in turning it on, and it doesn't run at it's maximum. However, whenever I did even the simplest things, it would start to ramp up. Because of this, I downloaded speed fan and saw the the temperates for the cores at idle were above 50C( http://imgur.com/V3d6P0G ) and just starting skyrim would make them skyrocket ( http://imgur.com/C15AMJk ). Keep in mind, these temps are nearly the same even with my case off my computer. The only thing that I could think of would be to reapply thermal paste, which I've never done. I looked at it, and what I think is the old paste looks old and hard. However, would thermal paste really make that big of a difference? When I used to start skyrim, I could barely hear the fan. Also, I'm not sitting here running a game at these temps, I just turned it on to show you guys, I don't want to take chances.

Applepienation

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Replacing the thermal paste could very well help, as it would help transfer the heat to the heatsink. As to why the fan isn't speeding up to full, I'm not sure if the thermal paste could do that.

Additionally, if the thermal paste looked hard and chunky then it is absolutely time to replace it. Replacing it is fairly easy and might bring your temps back to normal.

Ocarina007

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Either you misunderstood me or I didn't make myself clear, but the funs do run at full speed now, but only when doing more intensive things, like it should, not just idling. What happened was the heatsink was a little crooked when I placed it back on, so making it straight stopped it from crashing within 20 seconds of starting. I will look up how to remove and apply the paste and try that.

I was going to say I don't see how applying thermal paste could help THAT much, especially when you remember the old paste is still on there. But now that I think about it, all the holes that used to be filled were unplugged when I removed the heatsink, and dry paste doesn't fill gaps. It could be very well be that I'm running with little to no paste at all. I'm getting excited now, my computer has been out of commission for 3 days and I've held off on taking it in for repair. I'll report back later!

Applepienation

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Yep, I misunderstood. My bad.

Also a CPU without thermal paste is like a CPU without a cooler. It will heat up really, really fast. It is, fortunately very easy to replace. Just keep some rubbing alcohol to take the old stuff off on hand, and don't use more than a pea sized drop.