CPU Cooling i5

GrumpyGamer

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
i5 4670K (almost came down to a coin toss between IB or Haswell)

4.0 OC will be the goal (more research to come on this point though)

Phantek's PH-TC14PE seems to be what most are suggesting for cooling. This thing is huge (I have room in my CM HAF 932) and heavy.

I will be using an ASUS Maximus VI Hero boards (Gaming is the primary)

Can I get away with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO with 2 fans or even the Phanteks PH-TX12DX?

I would prefer something that has High Cooling, lowish noise level (doesn't have to be a be-quiet level) and less chance of stressing my board with the weight.

Upcoming rig
HAF 932 Case
i5 Haswell 4670K
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
PSU HX750W
EVGA GeForce GTX760
Monitor: ASUS VS248H 24-inch
Corsair vengeance 8gb (2x4) 1600 If Hyper 212 EVO or PH-TC12DX
*Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb (2x4) 1600 IF Phantek's PH-TC14PE (for RAM Clearance)

Thanks for your input. Tons of threads and so many conflicting views :p

Edit: Put some thought into CLC but even the small chance that a leak could cause an RMA rebuild has me avoiding that.

Edit2: BTW, what is a decent OC for the i5 Haswell? I was thinking of shooting for 4.0 but I have noticed some threads on up to 4.2?

If you look at the specs of the two Plamtek heat sinks you will notice that the larger one (PH-TC14PE) is quieter 13db to 19db then the smaller one (PH-TC120X) 21.9db-27.6db. If you were going with a MSI board I would say no to either Plantek cooler but Asus and Gigabyte make solid boards and you should not have any trouble with support.

You should be able to get 4ghz easy.

nathannev

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
how about a water cooling kit? worth it in the long run if you know what your doing, on my 1st build i used watercooling, its still runing sound till this day

GrumpyGamer

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
@inzone - thanks on the tip about the ASUS being sturdy enough for the Phanteks. I won't be as nervous if I go that route,

Although,

@Tradesman1 hitting 4.4 with the Hyper 212 EVO makes me happy. What kind of temps are you pulling under gaming load? As I will be gaming for the most part, 4.4 sounds great and i don't think for my first real OC experience I will be pushing past that. If the EVO can handle it then I will most likely be ordering that.

Edit: did you go with the stock fan? Add a 2nd fan? Trying to research 120mm add on fans but so far I'm just getting vendor lists and no real review on the fans themselves. Any suggestions?

GrumpyGamer

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

Re-reading this thread, I'm curious, did you get a 4670K to 4.4 or a 4770K? I see your builds show a 4770K and a 3570K.

The i7-4770k while a great CPU with Hyper threading is not a gaming CPU even though you can use it to run games and will do very well. The i5-4670k costs $100 less and will run games just as well as the 4770k , reason being is that games do not make use of Hyper Threading. So if it's gaming your doing then the 44670k is what you want an if it's photo or video editing or 3D graphics then the 4770k is what you want.
You might need more then the Hyper 212 EVO to reach 4.4ghz or 4.5ghz but you could try dual fans on it or go with a better cooler.

Sound wise anything up to 30dBA is considered quiet.

GrumpyGamer

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

Absolutely agree. When I re-read the thread I noticed that 1) 4.4ghz seemed high for an i5 with a low end albeit good air cooler as the 212 EVO (from what I have been reading) Then I looked at his build and saw the i7 listed :)

I had already come to the conclusion that the i7 was more than my needs required and didn't wan to spend the extra $$ for an e-peen when highest load my CPU would be carrying is gaming.

I still may just go with the phanteks but all that bulk sitting on my board just gives me pause, even though it's a widely used heat sink/fan. Should I just bite the bullet and go with the H100i or a quieter but comparable alternate? I'm really concerned about a CLC leak mishap.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The 212 runs fine at 4.4 with the higher powered 4770K (which is actually a slightly better gaming CPU than the 4670K (has more L3 cache) though with about $100 price difference not really enough to justify the extra. Anyway if fine with the 4770K at 4.4 it is plenty for the 4670K at same and even a little higher, the 4670K doesn't have Hyper-threading which when enabled adds to the heat of the 4770K

GrumpyGamer

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

How about Fans? Hyper 212 EVO stock fan or replace with better 120MM? What did you do for a 2nd fan if you use one?

I like how the Noctua uses dual fans of different sizes a 120mm and a 140mm I wonder if that helps alot?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The 212 takes basically any stock 120mm, have run it with both 2 CM fans as well as a vriety of other fans in both single and dual fan configs, the second fan can help a couple three or more degrees, even when folks get cheaper LED fans want somthing that will move a lot of air

A closed loop cooler is just that "closed" and not meant to be opened. You an do that but if you leave it closed then you will not have to worry and the warranty that comes with it may provide coverage if there is a leak when nothing is changed.
I have a custom built water cooling system and it never leaks even though it's two loops and a total of 6 blocks, two reservoirs and three pumps.

If your wanting to change the fans on the Hyper 212 then you want to get high static air pressure fans, the Corsair SP series has that along with low noise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181021