Build - overclocked - for economic simulations, premiere, multi-monitor

alan_111

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
What does this look like for a build that will be used for running economic simulations (currently doing it on an old i7 with 16gb ram and it takes ages!), using a lot of photoshop and some premiere cc, and general multi-tasking.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1yCqC

i7 4770k
16gb 1600 ram
nh-d14 cooler
Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X motherboard
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB
Fractal Design Define R4
Be Quiet 700W PSU

I also need a graphics card for the premiere cc (but I don't use it that much so it doesn't need to be ridiculous), that can support 6 monitors (two widescreens, 4 smaller ones). Any suggestions? Not too noisy is the same requirement, and cheap as possible to do just basic premiere effects like warp stability.

Planned updates later - 2-4 hard disks (I'll use a current 2TB one for the time being for additional storage) in raid, dvd rw, memory card reader on the front.

Reason for an excessive PSU - lots of usb peripherals! 2 keyboards, 2 mice, webcam, external 2tb hd, phone, tablet.

Overclocking - if there is something more price effective/will give much better cooling then please let me know. I'd like to get it to 4.5ghz

By old i7, do you mean the i7-9xx series?

I don't know exactly what tool you're using to simulate economics, but the overall performance increase from i7-9xx to i7-4xxx is only about 30-40% at most.

(I bolded overall because without knowing the type of workload the simulator emphasizes, it's difficult to pinpoint the benefits you'll see).

alan_111

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Yes I think so; it's not one I built and I don't have it any more but its a few years old. I think the key increase for that will be an ssd tbh - it's excel and matlab based. I'm assuming the overclock will help as well, and I'm planning on going to 32gb of ram fairly soon.

Took a quick look at MATLAB requirements - indeed, the storage medium seems to be the biggest factor.

You'll still see improvements with the i7-4770K processor, but since it contains the same core count as what you currently have, it won't be dramatic. This thread shows a comparison between i7-975 and a i7-2500K.

It won't hurt to swap a SSD into the current system to see if performance improves.