Fan speed too low?

blackguard4

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Is it normal to have 1040 RPM on a Intel E5700 stock cooler just after you log into windows? A few days ago when I checked it was 1051. The CPU works just fine, and Temps as well, but is that a sign that I should worry about?

blackguard4

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
I see, thank you, I have the Proc for 2 years now with it's stock cooler. I never tried to do OC or stress it too much. Even in more demanding games I'm well aware of what it can do. I was just scared because, since it has 2 years I was afraid the fan might show signs of failiure. Then again until recently I didn't monitor the speeds since startup so I wasn't sure about it, and this was the perfect place to ask. Lots of people know their stuff around Hardware. Again thank you :)

EDIT:
@lonewolf7, if I may disturb you with just another thought. Could the slower startup speed of the fan be linked with the lower temp of my room? It's gotten a bit colder lately and I'm wondering if it's that.

Actually no, the temps of the room is nothing to do with the CPU fan's RPM. The RPM of the fan is controlled by MB and CPU. You will see that figure(1040 RPM) on start up on a very hot day too. So hot day or cold day the RPM will be the same at start up. The RPM will eventually go higher when the CPU will go hotter.

blackguard4

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Ah, okay, I thought that I saw it at 1050 and higher on previous days, and well, I thought that this could spell trouble.

No this is no trouble, unless the fan makes some weird noise or stopping from time to time. The fan RPM will vary sometimes this is normal. Sometimes you will notice the fan will be spinning at 100% rate at 2400 to 2800 RPM(just figures) at startup and this is also normal. You can try Speedfan to check the temps and fan speed. I never used an after market cooler so in my opinion stock coolers are pretty good at work, unless you plan to do crazy overclocking.

blackguard4

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Nah I don't plan to. I'm always happy with stock speeds. But now I seem to have stumbled on another issue of which I'm not really certain about. It seems that my Seagate 1TB HDD is making some strange sounds. I'm not sure they are what may be called clicks of death. From when I've bought the HDD it used to make what some people described to me as a head parking sound. Well I noticed that sound was also made on windows login. And yesterday night I head those sounds when the HDD was Idlinng. Meaning I wasn't running anything on it. It's just for storage. I powered off my pc completely, and then removed power and conection from the HDD. I started the PC again with just the old 80 gig HDD that has my OS on it. No sounds of that kind what so ever on startup and shutdown. Soo I dunno what to say. I checked for errors with HD tune and Seatools and there are no Warnings redarding it's health or errors of any kind. The guys from where I bought it said that it's normal to hear that. What do you think??

As far as I know a decent working HDD will not make that kind of sound as you described. I think it is working for now but eventually it will die on you, so be careful, do not store any important data on it, and make a backup ASAP.

blackguard4

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
okay, I can't really describe the click type it's making. I have listened to samples that people had and they sounded nothing like mine. Those were sounds that should get you worried. The sound they made were poerful knocks not clicks. My sound is like i dunno it would sound like a scratch, but I can tell it didnt scratch anything, redid tests. No bad sectors or errors detected... So yeah. Well for data I just have some pr0nz but even that's not important. All I have on it is just a extra Library from steam for the bigger games. Like 10-20 gigs ones...