Sign in with
Your question

What would be the best Graphics card for a (passive 3d HDTV) 1080p gaming PC. Tridef 3D setup.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2013 6:29:40 AM

Seeking an upgrade/s for my current build.

Currently using :
Radeon 5870 Vapor-x 2gb
AMD Phenom x4 955 be
6gb DDR3 ram.
LG HDTV with passive 3d glasses.

Looking to use Tridef 3D software or similar to get passive 3d on Skyrim and the like.
Would a GTX 770 be bottlenecked/sufficient?

Pleae advise! :) 
September 2, 2013 2:30:38 PM

The GTX 770 would be a MAJOR bottleneck on the system that you currently have. For the price of that card you could grab a card that wouldnt bottleneck so much, like the AMD 7950, and then with the left over funds you could buy a better CPU.
The other question is, what resolution do you run the TV on for the 3D ?
September 19, 2013 3:49:17 PM

iisfitblud said:
The GTX 770 would be a MAJOR bottleneck on the system that you currently have. For the price of that card you could grab a card that wouldnt bottleneck so much, like the AMD 7950, and then with the left over funds you could buy a better CPU.

Hi, thanks for replying! (and sorry im slow)

On the TV it's 1080p passive 3d, HDMI.
I made a mistake btw, my CPU is a Phenom II x4 965. 3.40ghz processor, 8GB DDR3 Ram (not 6). - not sure if that makes any change to your suggestion.

Ultimate goal is going to be working towards getting a rig that could use the Oculus Rift (consumer).

Right now I'm wondering if I should invest in a hefty graphics card then upgrade CPU, etc afterwards, or as you say get smaller upgrades on CPU and card both at the same time.
Theres always the chance better cards may push prices down in the next gen too I guess.

Thoughts?
September 23, 2013 6:15:47 AM

Trunksdan said:
iisfitblud said:

Hi, thanks for replying! (and sorry im slow)

On the TV it's 1080p passive 3d, HDMI.
I made a mistake btw, my CPU is a Phenom II x4 965. 3.40ghz processor, 8GB DDR3 Ram (not 6). - not sure if that makes any change to your suggestion.

Ultimate goal is going to be working towards getting a rig that could use the Oculus Rift (consumer).

Right now I'm wondering if I should invest in a hefty graphics card then upgrade CPU, etc afterwards, or as you say get smaller upgrades on CPU and card both at the same time.
Theres always the chance better cards may push prices down in the next gen too I guess.

Thoughts?

Upgrage graphics card, then upgrade CPU.
Personally, I would wait a month for the new AMD range of Cards to come out, that should push the other card prices down, and you can pick up a decent 7950 for around £180.
After that you can get something like the FX-6300, depending on how much you want to pay. Or if you wanted the high end AM3+ range you can get the FX-8350.

All in all, I'd wait a month for the GFX card, then buy a CPU later, the bottleneck with the 7950 won't be too much with your current CPU, and it will still play stuff on ultra anyway.

!