Sign in with
Your question

How to increase ADSL download speed?

Last response: in Networking
September 1, 2013 12:12:05 PM

I have a 512 kbps ADSL broadband connection but i get only 60-70 kbps of max download speed :(  I want to know if it is normal or not? And if it's not, what I can do to increase the speed? :??: 

I use a Huawei WA1003A ADSL+wireless router which my ISP gave me when I first took the connection about 7 yrs back. If i buy a new router from D-link or Netgear, is there any possibility that the speed will increase? I just want to be sure before investing into a new router.

Thank you! :D 
September 1, 2013 12:41:26 PM

You are getting about the normal speeds. 512 Kbps (kilobits per second) is the connection speed, to transfer that into download speeds you are familiar with, you need to divide that number by 8, becuase you are converting bits to Bytes (8 bits in a Byte), so you should be looking at ~64 KBps.

A new router will not affect your connection speed. Try calling your ISP, they may have a faster option, such as 768 or 1024 Kbps speeds for only a few dollars more per month.
September 1, 2013 12:51:03 PM

SirSub42 said:
You are getting about the normal speeds. 512 Kbps (kilobits per second) is the connection speed, to transfer that into download speeds you are familiar with, you need to divide that number by 8, becuase you are converting bits to Bytes (8 bits in a Byte), so you should be looking at ~64 KBps.

A new router will not affect your connection speed. Try calling your ISP, they may have a faster option, such as 768 or 1024 Kbps speeds for only a few dollars more per month.

Thanks! :) 
!