Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Buying Windows 8 or 7 digitally then installing it on a computer with no OS installed

Last response: in Windows 8
September 1, 2013 2:43:28 PM

I'm currently building a computer and assumed I could buy Windows 8 retail at a store. They said they only sell upgrades and I should check online. I checked online but there seems to be no way to buy Windows 8 or 7 digitally and install it on a new build that doesn't already have an OS installed. Is there anyway to do this? Or will I have to order a copy online.

Best solution

a c 383 * Windows 8
September 1, 2013 10:08:11 PM

Dolian112 said:
I'm currently building a computer and assumed I could buy Windows 8 retail at a store. They said they only sell upgrades and I should check online. I checked online but there seems to be no way to buy Windows 8 or 7 digitally and install it on a new build that doesn't already have an OS installed. Is there anyway to do this? Or will I have to order a copy online.

You could use your 'old' computer to download the Upgrade version (Choose to download Installation Media rather than Upgrade directly)
then use the Disk/USB drive to clean install on to your new computer. After all, you won't be using the licence on your old computer again,, will you?
In order to activate the clean install you will have to do a Refresh immediately after the installation. Leave your Installation media in place and at your Start Screen type 'Refresh'. From Settings choose 'Refresh your PC '.
Drawback? You can only download the same Architecture as your old Windows, i.e. if its 32 bit you're stuck with it...

Related resources
!