Would all of this work, and is it too expensive?

LostLuggage

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Hello all. I will soon be taking online classes from a visual effects college to work on my future career in video game design. Clearly, I will need a good computer so I can run programs like Maya/3DS Max and Z-brush etc. etc. with ease and efficiency. My local computer shop wanted to build me a desktop with a SSD as the primary drive, a 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD as the data drive, a good i7 processor (don't know exactly what model), and a GTX 680 graphics card (those are the parts that I was told about...in other words, I don't know anything about what fans or anything else specific like that would have been in it) for around $2,500-2,700. This seemed like a lot...

Anyway, I start looking around online, and find ibuypower.com and cyberpowerpc.com, and customize a desktop on each one. Basically, I need to know if all of these parts are compatible, whether or not I can get any part upgrades that are radically better for not much more money, and whether or not this is too expensive for a computer for what I'm doing.

The one I "built" on cyberpowerpc has these specs:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1FDCQ8

That's the full customization page, as you can see, so the rest of the possible options are there.

The ibuypower one...the computer itself is likely on par, but while only slightly less-expensive, it doesn't have the monitors, keyboard, mouse, or webcam that I chose to add to the cyberpowerpc one. Here is the customization page:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Pal…

By the way, I will be doing heavy gaming on this as well as for school.

Thank you in advance for your time. Please try to answer in a timely manner.

P.S.: If it's overpriced, please tell me why and try to give some advice. It's my first high-end computer like this so I'm not building it myself, so please don't say that, and I need to know how to change what I need to change.

Marcopolo123

Honorable

not good
dont suggest a random build.

want to overclock?

Marcopolo123

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($613.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1579.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-01 19:53 EDT-0400)

iNova

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

I put that build together for the OP... How is it Random? My listed build destroys yours anyday..... 2 GTX770's > GTX780

Marcopolo123

Honorable

its about >>>Maya/3DS Max<<<
did he say anything about gaming performance ???

iNova

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Oh lol, didn't read the post entirely, just kinda skimmed over it.... Lol

LostLuggage

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

Actually I will be gaming on it, it just isn't the main focus here. And to iNova, how is that build better than the one I have on cyberpower? I realize the graphics card setup is better, as I can understand how two 770's could be better than one 780, but what else is better about it?

LostLuggage

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

Don't get me wrong, as much as I would like to build it myself to save money, I don't want to risk screwing something up. I don't care how easy it supposedly is to go on YouTube and find a tutorial. I don't feel good about building it myself.

How is that build better than the one that I have on cyberpower?

iNova

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

I was assuming you were just using it for gaming, lol.... So I put together a gaming PC for you, if you want, I can put together a PC for all the activities you want to do. Other then the Gaming setup, nothing else is better lol, but pre-builts are always overpriced though...

LostLuggage

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

I will be gaming on it in addition to using it for school with programs like Maya, but was told by the school that a high-end gaming computer would be fine for now, seeing as I'm just starting out. While many of the on-campus desktops there have the Quadro cards in them, they're expensive. The man I spoke with actually said that they've recently been replacing some of their machines with Alienware machines, which really surprised me.

iNova

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Tell your school they are being ripped off.... XD, Geforce GTX cards are better then Quadro cards. For what your doing, a high-end gaming computer is OVERKILL for School and the programs your doing, although an i7 is recommended for 3D modeling, etc.... Your school doesn't know what they are talking about lol, A High end Gaming computer is OVERKILL for 3D modeling, and school programs, etc.