New Build Assessment Please

PeripateticAxiom

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
This is a new build for gaming, graphic design, 3d rendering & video editing, the parts for which I'm looking to pick up around November/December time.

Due to moving around a lot I've been working off of laptops for more than ten years now but finally can afford to buy a new desktop with new tech. Rather than just get a standard consumer prefab or lightly customized model as I always did in the past I am looking to build this machine from the ground up so that it can run any current game on full spec (bring on GTA V, BF4 and a few others!), my assumption being that if it can carry graphic intensive games it will run solidworks, premiere, photoshop, etc just fine.

I would like to overclock it up into the 4 to 4.5GHz range and am also wanting the option to expand with a second GPU to keep it running at the top end for a few years to come and perhaps to run a second monitor. I am new to building a computer (I have someone skilled to do the actual assembly) and the following is just based on my recent research into all the possible options, some of which took me to this website a few times. Given that this build spec is going to put quite a hefty dent in my wallet I would appreciate some advice and/or feedback about my proposed setup to make sure it all makes sense.

Monitor is 23" 1920 x 1080
(might even get a third one down the road if I'm feeling really silly)

Cooler Master CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced case
(I really like this design but is it big enough? Coolable enough?)

Corsair HX850 Professional Series HX 850W ATX/EPS Modular
(Enough to carry a second GPU?)

Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
or
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K
(best option for Z77 chipset & OC?)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
Twin pack Corsair CO-9050006-WW Air Series SP120 (x1)
Twin pack Corsair CO-9050002-WW Air Series AF120 (x2)
(Case comes with 3x 120mm fans. Plus the above is this enough cooling capacity or is a water cooler necessary for OC dual GPU setup?)

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)
(x2 for 32GB total)

Asus (or Gigabyte) GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
or
Asus (or Gigabyte) GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB

1x - OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-128G 128GB Vertex 4 (OS drive (win7) and primary applications)
1x - OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-128G 128GB Vertex 4 (Secondary applications and games)
Western Digital Green - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive (files and data)
(Is there any reason why I can't have two SSD drives hooked up like this?)

I've read that installing a second GPU on either of these motherboards will block the last PCI slot, is that correct? With two GPU's, a PCIe sound card and PCIe network card will everything fit ok?

I have to say, it's amazing, when you have choice, just how much time can be spent researching which keyboard and mouse you want!

All feedback is welcome and appreciated.

PeripateticAxiom

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Thank you for your reply however from what I understand neither the Sabertooth Z77 nor the Gigabyte UD5H have any inbuilt wireless capability. The Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H-WB board does however this model is not available where I am.

Regarding the onboard audio (Realtek ALC892 on the Sabertooth and Realtek ALC898 on the UD5H) I have read that the quality is ok for very basic use but that with any decent speaker setup or headphones the difference is really quite significant. Since I am already pumping a fair bit of money into building this system then a little bit more for good sound over ok sound is worth it.

As such my query about available PCIe slots still stands. I don't think I will need to use any more than two (please correct me if I'm wrong) so even if the second GPU blocks a slot (assuming the first does not) will it even matter? I just want to make sure that everything I need will fit without suddenly having bought a whole computer in parts and then realizing that some piece of it won't fit.

I am going with two 128gb SSD's because they happen to be cheaper here than buying one 256gb plus I like the redundancy that if one fails at least I'll have the other, hopefully the one with OS on it. Just wasn't sure if there was any problem having two plus a regular hd (it has been a long time since I've looked at computer parts and much has changed)

I suppose a last query to add to the above is, are the parts I have chosen expensive overkill or are they a good combination that will do the job well and keep this system running everything for years to come?