Size of ssd needed with 1 tb of hdd

ComputerJuice0903

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I'm building my first computer and i am getting 1 tb of hdd. I'm also getting an ssd, but i don't know how much i should get. My computer will be for gaming, video editing, and possibly music production if that makes a diference on how much i need. please let me know what you think.

Thanks

I just built a new system with the components in my sig and I have purchased a Samsung 128 GB 840 Pro SSD to go with it. As long as you do your best to store your music and video on the HDD, I think that 128 GB should serve you well.

Yogi

Blaise170

Honorable
It's however much you need. It doesn't take more than 20GB for OS and other system files, so whatever you have left over you can install your frequently used and most hardware intensive programs. Games will usually run just fine from the HDD and the added speed of an SSD is usually minimal in performance. For things like graphical and video rendering however, the benefits of an SSD are more noticeable, so take that into account when choosing what size to get.

urbanrider

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn’t go less than 128GB. At first it will seem like you have quite a bit of extra space, but as time goes on it gets eaten up quickly. Ideally I’d get a SSD that can fit all your programs, I find it’s a bit of a pain to have programs split over multiple drives.
I just upgraded to a 256GB and it is awesome, it fits all my games and programs with a little wiggle room for random files that haven’t been moved to my HDD yet 

If you use your computer a lot and will be installing/uninstalling, downloading, etc go for the 256GB if you can afford it. If you stick with a pretty standard set of programs and they will all fit on a 128GB then get that.

TRENDING THREADS