Intel i5-4670k (good deal and good decision???)

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Hey, new to the board here.

I currently have an Intel Quad Duo Q6700 DDR2 system. I am wanting to update everything. I am considering the Intel i5-4670k (yes I know I need to upgrade the board, Ram, etc...). What would be the performance difference both benchmark and "real life usage"? I game every so often because I use PS3 for that. I may game a bit more in the future. I am mainly using the current system and going to use the new system for TV, streaming video, internet, main computer, burn blu ray, etc....

I have the chance to buy a New/Installed (installed for a server, but the guy upgraded to a Xeon CPU) for $200.00. Do you think this is a good deal?? I see they go for $230-$250 on Newegg and EBay, etc.....

8350rocks

Distinguished
It's not a bad deal...just make sure it works.

Also, if you intend to overclock the 3570k is actually the better way to go...if not...then the 4670k is marginally better at stock clocks.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

My concern if I did 3570k was that the socket will be outdated and I am just doing a new build, so I was wanting new. I actually was going to do AMD but the price difference was $15 and I see comparisons leaned towards Intel.

What are some of the reasons to OC?? I root my phones so I am familiar with OC, but explain what it does and why I want to do it? I honestly dont need to have a benchmark of something just to post it to a board if it really doesnt do anything. I dont need a bragging right kind of system.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

No I am new to this board as in today, but anyone else with Glen Quagmire as their avatar must be as cool as me, lol!

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Seems to be a reputable person. I did just buy it. It was a guy on ebay with 100% feedback and over 110 feedbacks. I have been in communication with him today about it. He says he never OC'ed it. He bought it for server 2008 and decided to upgrade to Xeon for server CPU instead. Had it installed for about a few weeks.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Overclocking increases performance...it will make your FPS for gaming higher.

The average 4670k overclocks to about 4.2 GHz and per clock is about 5% faster than a 3570k.

The 3570k will typically overclock around 4.6 GHz which makes it actually faster than the 4670k (4670k would have to hit 4.4 to tie the 3570k).

Now, sometimes you get a "good" 4670k or 3570k and they will overclock higher, other times you get a "bad" chip and they overclock less.

However, don't be concerned about upgrade paths. The 4670k has no upgrade path either, socket 1150 is already "dead" because hasfail (haswell) is the only CPU going into that socket. The next upgrade will require a new MB anyway.

AMD is a fine choice for a CPU, the 8350 trades blows with any i5 in games and actually performs better at heavier threaded tasks like video encoding/transcoding and rendering.

Regardless of what hafijur is about to say after this...ignore him...he constantly feeds bad information about Intel to people and is renowned for such things on this forum. I am sorry he happened into your thread; however, some things are unavoidable.

I am a game designer by trade, and AMD is really the future of gaming...though Intel is slightly better at some games now.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

thanks for all the info. I truly was close to getting the FX 8350 because of the future, but I considered now but also not just gaming. As I mentioned, I use my PC and future PC I am building as my Media Center I stream videos and do watch movies and run my TV antenna into the PC as a DVR. How do they stack up for my use and not just gaming?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Outside of gaming the 8350 is better than the i5 across the board. It's only in gaming where the i5 actually holds it's own against the 8350....in media and productivity, the i7-3770k is a much closer comparison.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

What info would support it and are there examples pertaining to my use? Thanks again.

8350rocks

Distinguished

There are video encoding benchmarks out there by the bushel full. I am a game developer...I chose the 8350 for the same reasons you're looking for a CPU, though I do some rendering, etc. as well.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Show me a benchmark where an i5 beats an 8350 at video encoding or rendering.

8350rocks

Distinguished

It's NOT the only thing they do well...

Also, miraculously...the OP is going to be doing lots of video encoding...more than gaming in fact. Seems like the 8350 is likely the best choice.