Sub-$200 21-22" Gaming Monitor

Gabis

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Looking for some recommendations on 21-22" 1080p monitors, preferably non-PWM LED/LCD.

Have been searching TFTCentral, Display Lag's database and every retailer I can think of but still having a hard time coming up with a legitimate option. Everyone reviews 23"+ only these days and I simply don't need something that size for my desk configuration. I tried a friends 21.5" Samsung and it was a perfect size, but not a very good monitor IMO. The colors were fantastic, but the motion blur was noticeable with HD Video and games. It was an S22A350H I believe.

Primary uses will be for FFXIV:ARR, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, BF4, CoD and basic internet/office applications.

Don't need 120hz+ or any resolution above 1080p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live near quite a few retailers that price match, so any and all sources are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I hadn't read about that. Then I would really suggest getting a 23" monitor, and getting a 1ms response time version such as: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vx238h .

I know most IPS monitors have higher response times, but the 22" I linked was listed at 5ms which is about the slowest I'd ever recommend for any type of LCD monitor. So I'd wouldn't expect it to suffer from the ghosting issue. I have a cheap 23" Acer that is a 5ms response time, and I don't notice any ghosting.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/415430/I2267FW_22_Class_IPS_LED_Monitor

At the edge of what you want. LED that is also an IPS monitor(provides better picture). AOC is a solid brand as well.

I would however recommend just getting a 23" or 24" monitor. Won't take up much more room, and you'll get a larger selection of monitors at that size. With a 200 dollar budget I think you could get a really good monitor at that size.

Gabis

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I've just read a lot about IPS displays causing quite a bit of ghosting, especially in the lower-end price ranges. I've heard that they are getting better in this regard, but I'm still a little worried as, personally, I would prefer slightly less accurate colors if it means not dealing with ghosting/motion blur.

You're right, though, in that there are a ton more options at 23" and 24" that remain in my price range. But in my experience 21.5" also provides the best picture quality for 1080p, especially with the very close distance between myself and my monitor due to my limited space and desk real-estate.

I hadn't read about that. Then I would really suggest getting a 23" monitor, and getting a 1ms response time version such as: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vx238h .

I know most IPS monitors have higher response times, but the 22" I linked was listed at 5ms which is about the slowest I'd ever recommend for any type of LCD monitor. So I'd wouldn't expect it to suffer from the ghosting issue. I have a cheap 23" Acer that is a 5ms response time, and I don't notice any ghosting.

Solution