Just reinstalled Windows 7 and the screen has zoomed in, PLEASE HELP!

dazed_

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I just reinstalled Windows 7 and the screen has zoomed in. The resolution has two options - 800x600 and 1024x768. It's currently set to 1024x768 but everything is still oversized. The desktop background appears to be stretched (horizontally), and same with the icons. And yes, I've already tried making the icons smaller. Please help!

Have you reinstalled the graphics card driver? If not, reinstall it and see if it helps. Let me know if it doesn't.
In the mean time click on Start, then on Control Panel, then Personalization, then on the left (at the bottom) under See also click on Display. There are three options Smaller - 100% (default), Medium - 125%, and Larger - 150%. If Smaller is already chosen then you should check to make sure you have installed the graphics card driver.

dazed_

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Thank you Ken. Smaller is already chosen, and I've tried to reinstall the graphics card driver, but nothing changed. Do you think that I should try to install the driver again? I honestly don't know if it worked. Actually, I don't really know what I'm doing in the first place, haha.

--

Update:
I tried to install what I thought was the correct driver, but got the following message:
"This platform is not compatible with Intel(R) WiDi or the application is in use. Please see the log for more details.
Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please close the Intel(R) WiDi application if it is running and run setup again with the compatible platform."

Does this mean that it's the wrong driver? How do I know which one is the right driver?

What is the make and model of your computer? With that information I may be able to help you find the driver you need.

dazed_

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

My laptop is a Dell Vostro 3550, 64 bit. Do you require any further information?

dazed_

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Thanks Ken.
The only thing listed under Display adapters is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. I also just noticed that I have some devices under Other devices with yellow triangles and exclamation points - SM Bus Controller, and 2 Unknown devices.

The yellow triangles with exclamation points usually indicate a needed driver is missing and the same applies to unknown devices. Your best bet might be to enter your service tag number at the Dell site (http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector) to make sure you get the right drivers. I'm going to get some sleep now (it's 2am here) but I will check back later today to see if you got anything resolved.

dazed_

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Thank you so much, Ken. I followed your instructions and found that the Dell Support website was linking me to a 32-bit version of Intel(R) Graphics (or some such). I did a Google search for this, but 64-bit, and was brought directly to Intel's Download Center. I have no idea what I did, how I did it, or why it worked - but it did! Things are back to their normal size. I really appreciate you staying up so late to help me figure this out. Thanks again! :)

Great! I'm glad you got it solved.