i5 3570k Gaming Desktop Build Questions

JdawgTheBomb

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
So I am planing on building a gaming/video editing desktop. Mostly for gaming but I will be editing on it for youtube. I don't want to go above my $1300 price for the desktop because I plan on getting a monitor, keyboard and mouse also.

I have a few questions, but first I will list what I am thinking of getting for the build.

Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case or NZXT Phantom Enthusiast

Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 Z77 EXTREME4

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K

Ram: G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2133

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked

SSD: Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

PSU: Cooler Master GX - 750W

Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW

Cooler: NZXT Technologies KRAKEN X60

Feel free to comment and say something if I am missing something or this build is not good. its my first time building a desktop.

My questions are:
1. Am I making a good decision by going with the i5 3570k? I thought about going for the AMD fx 8350 with a sabertooth fx990 but I might want to upgrade the processor, in which i feel the i7 3770k would be my choice. So i figured i would go with the mobo that is compatible with an i7.

2. Does the NZXT Guardian 921 have enough room for everything and the NZXT cooler?

3. I want to have wifi with this even though I know that wired would be better signal and everything because I would like to have things simple if for some reason I want to move the desktop. I would go with the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps.

Any help would be great
Thanks, Jonathan

Mike359

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I would try to get 2 modals of RAM as your motherboard uses dual channel RAM. This means if you have (2x4gb) it will run slightly faster than (4x2gb) although it is the same amount of RAM it also gives you slots to upgrade your RAM later on. Also 16gb is overkill you should probably get 8gb, which you still won't use all of, but you want a little headroom just in case. If you really want 16gb of RAM though I recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231571

1.) You should be fine with the i5 3570K, it is a very powerful processor and unless you are using heavily threaded applications then I wouldn't recommend any other processor especially since the i7 is a very nice upgrade option.

2.) I have no idea if that cooler will fit into that case, but you really don't need that massive of a cooler especially since all the i5 you want to get runs at 77w. If it was me I would get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo link here and use the money you save to get an i7 3770K link here which also runs at 77w so it shouldn't have any problem being cooled even when overclocked. Obviously you won't be able to overclock as much as you could with your other cooler, but your better off with a better CPU as opposed to a slower CPU that you can overclock more. IMHO it would be a waste of your money to get such a powerful cooler when you could get a more powerful CPU for the same price.

3.) I don't have much experience with those cards but I don't see you having any problems and you will probably be able to get good speeds out of that wireless card if you router can put out a 2.4ghz or a 5ghz wireless signal.

Hope this helps,

JdawgTheBomb

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Thanks for the advice man! it really helps. Quick question though. Whats your recommendation for ram if i get 8gb (2x4gb)

Mike359

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Whoops I completely forgot about Haswell... It isn't much faster than Ivy Bridge, but if your building a new computer it's probably the way to go.

he is editing youtube vids. so i dont think its anything serious that requires another $100 to be spent to get hyperthreading to shave a couple seconds from rendering time. The 4670k is also 10% more expensive than the 3570k as well as being in a best case scenario, 10% faster.

GamerDad

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

One thing I've learned is to never, EVER, underestimate the quality, effort and value of a youtube video. Need I remind you, entire movies are available on the platform. I would not sell Jdawg's work short simply because of where he chooses to offer his entertainment. Without seeing his clips, neither me, nor you, nor anyone else is in a position of judging whether he needs hyperthreading or not, but we are in a position to let him know that should he need it, there are CPUs out there available that will go a long way to making his work more efficient.

Haswell is more than just about power, but power consumption as well. That 10% faster already makes the 10% cost worth it let alone the power efficiency it offers which HALVES the power consumption that Ivy Bridge uses.

TRENDING THREADS