Re-purpose my gaming laptop as a couple of servers?

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
Note: I already got a good gaming laptop (Samsung Series 7 Gamer).

I have a laptop I don't use quite as much and was wondering if the specs would be good enough to use for a Local minecraft server as well as an ftp server.

It's an Asus G46VW one of the small gaming laptops.

Specs are:
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHZ Dual-Core w/ Hpyerthreading
8GB Ram
(Don't think the gpu's matter but it's a Hybrid with Intel HD 4000 and GTX 660M Graphics) Figure I'll just have it set to the HD 4000 until I decide to play a game to save on power.
750GB 7,200rpm HDD
Windows 7 x64
14" 1366x768 Display
Wireless-N
Gigabit Ethernet (Though any Ethernet ports I have at the house are 10/100, mainly running at 100 unless the client can't run 100 for some reason.)

Plan on Running minecraft server and filezilla ftp server.

Another question would be, could I run a copy on Minecraft on it while the server software (minecraft and ftp software) are running?

I do have a cooling pad for it that would be running as well. I plan on running this pretty much 24/7 almost with a few shutdowns for the night and while I'm away for all day leaves. I know laptops aren't the best, but I don't really have the money to build or buy a low end desktop to do this for me and this laptop is just sitting around due to me having an larger i7 gamer laptop. I thought it would be nice to have a more portable laptop than my monster 17" gamer laptop, but after the return period ended I kind of just started migrating to my main laptop again.

I also want to note that while I like Linux, for this laptop it wouldn't be the best use as I still plan on pc gaming on it every now and then. That and I've tried running minecraft servers on linux and just couldn't get things to work.
Also I know how to set memory amounts on Minecraft, and the Minecraft server, probably between Minecraft and the server 4GB of the 8GB would be used. So would there be enough for Windows and ftp server to run?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. I will delete or whatever and put it in the right section if it is. But I saw "Systems" and thought the full computer system and since I am talking about mainly if the specs would support it this fit.

I thank everyone for their input and help!

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
One of the biggest restrictions on minecraft servers are usualy bandwidth, whats your bandwidth like? (upload/download speeds and limits per month eg a 250GB limit or unlimited)

how many players do you get simultaneously at the peak times of your server? (or if not setup yet, how many are you expecting?)

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012

I'm running on a LAN only so limits on bandwidth is unlimited. Speed would be 100mbps or gigabit. Max players would probably be about 10.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
Oh over LAN, no problems that laptop is more than enough for gaming, as for ram usage, even the top tier minecraft servers use 2-4GB ram, your server should be way below that.

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012

Ok, cool. I also may have just 1 player over the internet. My net is unlimited bandwidth as well. Speed is: 1.18Mbps Download/ 0.35 Upload.