4670k or 8350? Based on my needs!! No fanboys please!!

Which do I go with based on my needs? (65% streaming media center 35% gaming. Could end up 50/50% b

• AMD FX 8350

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Intel 4670k

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I do gaming but mainly on my PS3. I just had such a weak computer that I never bothered. I may do more PC gaming/online gaming with my new PC build.

I use my computer for media center/video streaming, movies, music, burning blu ray discs, transfer files. I use Watch ESPN all the time, Popcorn & Coke, Youtube, are some ideas of what I watch.

I am building from ground up starting with the CPU. I have a deal for 4670k for $200 and the 8350 for $185-$190.

I will most likely OC seeing I do that with all my phones. I know the future in Xbox and PS4 are AMD, hence maybe gaming in general will head towards 4+ cores, but the 8 cores arent even being used yet and when will that happen (another 5-10 years??) I know 4670k has better per core performance but not so much in mutiltasking vs AMD.

So which do I choose and why??? elaborate on why please?

8350rocks

Distinguished
For heavy media use, and any productivity/multitasking the 8350 is better.

For purely a gaming rig...the Intel would have a slight edge.

If you're doing equal parts of both, then I would lean toward AMD personally, but that can go either way.

If you're doing mostly streaming/encoding video/rendering type stuff...the 8350 is a better choice. Hands down.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
8350 will suit all your needs and save you some money on the cost of the CPU itself as well as the motherboard. The 8350 is much better for OCing compared to Haswell. Just make sure your motherboard is good quality (at least 990 chipset) and PSU is also high quality. If you're going to do heavy OC, make sure you use a very good CPU cooler.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Here are some of my thoughts and concerns for both intel and AMD:

-I hear FX series is going away that the 8350 is the last of the FX chips hence the AM3+ is on its last leg. I am hoping for some longevity in my CPU and or MOBO. Like I want to maybe upgrade the CPU in another cycle or MOBO in another cycle but not be at the tail end of both. Intel did just come out with their 1150 so there is life for a while on either. Like the board will last longer and I can just upgrade the CPU if needed from i5 4670k to i7 4770k as example. AM I ACCURATE???

-I will be doing hands down equal if not more streaming, music, video, file transfer than gaming. I hear AMD FX is better than i5 4670k for that. I understand that right now, gaming wise intel is winning with i5 4670k vs the fx 8350 but XBOX and PS4 are using AMD. Are we going to see gaming go into multi core where 8350 has a better life than i5 4670k? If so, really how long before the 8350 is taken full advantage of before intel come out with their own 8 core? See what I mean? (Just fyi, I hear that its the video card on the xbox and ps4 that makes the difference, not the CPU). As far as gaming, I don't care one gets better FPS on a benchmark, but what is the real visual difference? Will first person shooters or other games alike freeze, skip, lag, etc if I went AMD 8350 or no? Is this just more of a technical aspect than anything?

-As far as cost, in my opinion, they balance out. I save $15 on the CPU by going AMD and maybe $20 on the MOBO, but I will have to get a better cooler on the CPU for AMD which is at least $50. That's how I figure they balance out. AM I RIGHT?

I AM INPARTIAL TO BOTH. I WANT THE BEST ONE FOR ME IN MY SITUATION.

8350rocks

Distinguished
1.) In July, AMD's quarterly conference call with investors said that AM3+ is supported through 2015. That's all the confirmation from AMD in either direction. Also, socket 1150 is basically "dead" as well. Haswell is all that's going on it. Next architecture from Intel is Skylake in 2015 with a new socket too, they will refresh Haswell in summer 2014.

2.) The 8350 will not have any issues with quality in games. There won't be any issues, it's just different architectures. Intel has plans for an 8 core, it's estimated MSRP is $1100 when it arrives in Q3 2014, it will be an extreme series for LGA 2011.

3.) A good cooler for AMD is the 212 EVO for $30 or the Xigmatek Gaia for $25. So the cooling is not an issue there.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

-So let me understand correctly, on either the i5 4670k or FX 8350, I will not notice anything visually or play wise while gaming? Its just more of a bench mark technicality? What will I notice or not notice while streaming, video watching, music transferring, etc....Anything noticeable on either chip?

-So both boards are "dead" in 2015? Also, if both boards are dead in 2015, are there any more CPUs either on AMD or Intel that will be made for their respectable boards until 2015? Like could I upgrade either chip with a new series or something on their respectable boards up through 2015?

-Again, price seems to balance out, right?

-I know OC is better on FX 8350 vs i5 4670k, but what will that do for me gaming and media center wise?

8350rocks

Distinguished

1.) No, once you get over 45-50 FPS anything more is just that...more. I can tell the difference between 30 and 50 FPS, though I couldn't tell you the difference between 50 and 60...or 60 and 90 for that matter...it's just a "bragging rights" thing...really.

2.) No word from AMD on what's next yet...they've been incredibly secretive about the new "steamroller" architecture. Intel has a haswell "refresh" coming in 2014...nothing exciting. I don't think your upgrade path would be closed either way.

3.) Well, with Haswell you'll want an aftermarket cooler as well...they tend to run hot...really hot in fact if you overclock.

4.) Increase your FPS in games and speed up your video encoding times...that's what OC does for you...everything gets done faster. As far as video streaming, the FX 8350 would allow you to multitask while streaming/encoding video better. Which means you could play a game, while encoding video in the background, or you could have 10 internet browser windows open at once while playing games or streaming video. You could also run like 8 instances of minecraft if you wanted...

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Provided the GPU (graphics card) you use is plenty capable, no you will not notice any difference in terms of gaming performance/experience. The 4670k and 8350 are both exceptional performers in that respect. When it comes to multi-tasking and doing the other things you mentioned, the 8350 would be marginally faster. From a user point of view, you probably won't notice a huge difference. Both, again, would be very fast in general as they are both flagship products from each manufacturer, both packed with the best/latest technology available to the public at that particular price point.

Even though there may not be any upgrade path for either the 1150 or AM3+ sockets beyond 2014, that doesn't mean your system will become outdated and useless at that point. Games and applications are being continuously optimized for more cores, not less. A build based on either of these CPU's will still be very capable in 3 to 4 years time.

As for comparing the next gen consoles to PC, that's more like comparing apple and oranges. The next gen consoles do not contain "graphics cards". They use what is called an APU which contains the GPU as an integrated part of the CPU architecture. While it has 8 cores, they are also clocked much slower than that of most desktop CPU's. While they are clocked much slower, the games and applications developed for those systems will be highly optimized to take advantage of that architecture.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

1. so in benchmarking tests, are they running the 8350 and 4670k OC'ed? I see gaming wise 4670k is better in most games FPS, but are these done stock or OC'd? If stock, then I am curious what the results are when OC'ed for both 8350 and 4670k...
2. As far as in no word on whats next, is steamroller goingto be compatible with AM3+ boards or still aren't sure? I just want to know what my upgrade limits are. Seeing 4670k I can upgrade without question to 4770k and also on the next update of Haswell, I only see right now I have nothing next for FX 8350 (nothing higher without going to $350+ compatible with a AM3+ board.) especially if unsure of what steamroller will be.

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

so In your opinion, if I am doing even 50/50 split between gaming and media streaming, web content, movies, music, etc...you would go with 8350 over the 4670k? Just trying to gain confidence in either decision...

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Upgrading from the 4670k to the 4770k you will not notice much of a difference. Some improvements in multi-tasking, encoding, stuff lite that, but not much difference at all in gaming.

As for the benchmarks, if you read the articles or look at the descriptions, they usually say if they tested with OCing or not.

I'm in the process of choosing components for a new PC build as well and I know why you're concerned about future-proofing your rig. This is the world of technology. As soon as you buy something, it's old. lol. At some point you just have to make a decision and go for it, otherwise you'll be waiting forever.

It is safe to say, and I think others would agree with me, that you can't go wrong with either of these CPU's. They are both the cream of the crop. The 8350 is probably the one most suitable for your specific needs. But we can't tell you which to buy, that is ultimately up to you. :)

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

so the 4770k being the next tier for 4670k does the gaming of the 4670k but the multi tasking of the 8350, seems like.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

I'm building an m-ITX SFF gaming PC with a budget of approximately $1000-1200 Canadian. Since there are no m-ITX AMD motherboards with the AM3+ socket, in terms of high-end gaming, there is no other option in this situation besides the i5-4670K (or 3570K if you're an OC junky). That's not to say I won't be more than happy with the i5, I'm just simply pointing out that for me, the AMD option doesn't exist.

If I were to build a full ATX gaming rig, that would be another story. Given a budget of $1000-1500, I'd probably go with the 8350 and use the little extra money saved towards the GPU. If my budget was $2000 or more, I'd go with the i7-4770k simply because it is the best CPU that still has a reasonable price tag and there would still be plenty of money left over for a killer GPU setup.

May I ask, what is your budget?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Typically they're done stock unless there is commentary otherwise. Some sites will OC CPUs and compare the results to the stock results...though there are only a couple that really do that.

The last thing AMD said was they were not done with AM3+...now...that may mean we may not see anything for AM3+ until summer/fall next year possibly. There's not any way to tell on timetables for these things. Again, I wish I had more information, but I currently do not...

glenquagmire

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

I didnt really have one. Just buying whats right for me and has room for growth. I am currently upgrading from Intel Quad Duo 6700q, DDR2 system, with Galaxy GeForce 9600gt, and two Nvidia SLI Ram boards, Ultra 550 LSP power unit.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Sort of...

This breaks down to architectural differences between AMD and Intel...so this may get more technical than you were looking for, but I am going to break it down for you.

AMD's 8 core architecture has 8 integer cores and 4 flex floating point units. These 8 cores can all run 1 thread each simultaneously. So you get 8 cores/8 threads, without having to share cores "resources". The floating point capability of the 8 core AMD CPUs is more inline with a 4 core Intel CPU though. However, most FPU calculations are offloaded onto the GPU anymore.

Intel's i5 series has 4 cores...no hyper threading. The i7 series has 4 cores with hyper threading (HTT). Basically the difference is that the i7 series all have an extra register stack per core over the i5. A register stack is basically a "place holder" for an extra thread...when the core isn't busy running it's main thread it can use the extra register stack to run an extra thread in it's spare time. In the industry we call this a "virtual core" because it's basically a software tweak to get added productivity. Now, when HTT is engaged, it takes resources from the core it's attached to in order to run that thread. This means that the i7 series Intel CPUs can max out with 4 cores/8 threads; however, they can run 4 threads at about 75-80% core resources and the other 4 threads at about 20-25% core resources. So, essentially, you can run 4 threads at once, and it can run the other 4 threads at a highly reduced rate of efficiency. Though the work gets done, it's not as effective as 8 physical cores.

What this means to you is, as things go more and more heavily threaded, the 8350 will eventually become a better solution than what Intel has currently in place. We are at the point where software is really starting to shift in that direction and the consoles having similar AMD hardware is going to only step on the accelerator there. You can even see this in the way Intel is designing their newest ATOM architecture chips, as they are using a really close approximation of what AMD has done with their FX series.

The biggest reason AMD isn't quite as productive in some programs as Intel is currently, is because software has not caught up to hardware. In the past, we all knew this, but it was less obvious because the architectures were similar enough that the difference was fairly negligible. Now, because of the paradigm shift at AMD, and software playing catch up...we are seeing the differences emerge in programs geared toward the "old" architecture model where a single core or 2 were mostly used. However, because coders are starting to push things to go more parallel than they did before, the benefits are becoming more obvious in the newest applications/programs that can take advantage of the newer architecture model. We only now see it in gaming starting to emerge, where the 8350 actually performs better in some games than even the i7s. If you look at the "Welcome to the Jungle" Crysis 3 benchmarks, this is heavily evidenced there.

So, it's kind of a guessing game...however, knowing what I know, and having similar uses to what you do, I chose the 8350. Not sure if that answers any of your questions or confuses you more; however, that's the best answer I can give you at this point.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
For your needs, the 8350 > 4670K but not by much. You'll easily get 3-4 years out of both systems. And unless you just have to have that extra edge, IMO it's really not worth the upgrade to the 4770k unless you rely heavily on the types of tasks it's meant for.

8350rocks

Distinguished

That is a good deal!! Congrats!! You're going to enjoy that CPU :)

8350rocks

Distinguished

My personal favorite board, especially for media use, is the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0...the features are amazing!! It's good for overclocking too...

You can spend more money on a board if you want...though it isn't necessary.