Android KitKat is the Next Version of Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"it's now thought that the new version of Android will arrive in October of this year"

This doesn't even make sense. 4.3 was just launched for ... about 7 devices total.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007

Kit Kat is trademarked. I wonder if there is some co-marketing arrangement behind the scenes.

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Surprisingly, according to an article on the BBC website, no money changed hands in this deal. Not sure how Google pulled that off. It'll definitely get people talking about the next Android version, and they got a pretty sweet (in more ways than one) statue out of it to boot.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hopefully time to put in some solid native multitasking support and make this a desktop ready OS. But seriously, KitKat? Way to pick the lamest of the candy bars Android. Caramilk would be the way to go - or cream egg.

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
At this rate, Android is going to be updated as quickly as Chrome! Is there enough candy in the world to keep up with that pace? :)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Seems like a perfect fit considering Android is becoming more corporate friendly and less of a vague dessert that can be catered to one's tastes. I wonder if they signifies the new devices will be easily broken.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Super lame branding and product placement.

I'd expect something this pitiful from Nokia or Blackberry.

If Apple branded their software with another company people would be all over it.

This is super lame marketing, very childish.

Maybe there won't be Nexus Tablets, just a Pepsi Tablet...

loosescrews

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
From android.com/kitkat
"To make this release even sweeter, Kit Kat is giving you the chance to win a Nexus 7 or Google Play credit. Just look for specially branded Kit Kat candy bars featuring the Android robot in a store near you."

They even show a package of KitKats with an advertisement for the give-away and a picture of an android eating a KitKat.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

You say "seriously" like that bit of trivia is common knowledge. I've owned three Android devices, read through multiple user's manuals on Android devices, read patch notes and product update notes, and probably several dozen news articles related to Android, and not once have I heard the alphabetical nature of their naming system mentioned.

So yeah, seriously. At least the alphabetical thing makes the name "kit'kat" make more sense, even if they did pick one of the most bland candy bars out there for the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.