New haswell build for photo editing

G

Hello all,

I am closing in on a build for photo editing, home file server, home music client (cellphones, tablets can play music through the computer on the speakers).
I need a low idle power, high processing power, small footprint system.

Approximate Purchase Date: by mid september.
Budget Range: 800-1200 US$
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing, Multimedia (music, movies, internet), home samba file server, music speaker client
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, storage hdd (system hdd needed)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, I like ASUS mobo
Overclocking: No

Here are my components of choice, I would appreciate some feedback.

Antec ISK 310-150W

Optional external PSU (not sure about that yet but I've heard good things about that PICO PSU) PICO PSU. My main goal with this external PSU would be to remove some or all of the case fans, reducing noise and power draw.

For the dilemna, I have changed my mind about the MOBO. I am now looking at this one Asus Z87I Deluxe. The biggest advantages to me are the inclusion of bluetooth, wifi, and the inclusion of a display port. The Asus H87I doesnt have these and from what I understand, the display port allow much bigger resolution than DVI. What do you guys think about display port vs DVI vs HDMI for photo editing on a screen that will most likely be an IPS display of 27" or 30" ?

Crucial ballistic RAM 2x8Gb

Samsung 128Gb SATA SSD

Haswell i7-4770S

Zalman quiet CPU cooler

Thermal paste.
Extermal blu-ray/dvd player

I already have a 3TB seagate expension USB3.0 ext. hdd for storate and 2TB WD Elements USB 2.0 etx hdd for backup

I think this build is the best compromise between low idle power, powerful processing for imaging and high portability.

What do you think? Did I miss something? Am I crazy?

Also, did the step2 cpu and mobo start to ship yet? (with the fix for the USB sleep/wake bug in haswell)

G

up?

I forgot to mention, I use Ubuntu as my main OS.
I usually have a windows partition as well that I use seldomly.
Both OSes will be on the SSD, along with programs and apps I use, as well as the photos I am currently editing.
Everything else will be on the external HDDs

G

up.
Am I formatting this the wrong way? I think I followed the guidelines, but please let me know if I missed something.

G

Hi and thank you for your answer.
I considered the H87i (it is present in my original post) but put the Z87i-deluxe instead because I am attached to the display port and its higher frame rate at high resolution. Also the inclusion of a BT4.0/Wifi ac module is useful to me.

The main worry I have though is that the DIGI power control module will be masking the case fans.

I have an ASUS Z87 - Pro in here and DIGI power hasn't been an issue. I think you can disable it though and manuelly set the fans. That itx case does not provide for much anyway. The CPU Fan and maybe a small exhaust fan. This was the closet I could find to the one you listed and it has an 80mm exhaust fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129080. Something that small, temps are always a concern, but should be fine.

G

Thank you coastie.
I ended up going with a fractal 304 case as I couldnt alleviate concerns that the DIGI power module would block the ANtec case's fans.

Thank you for your help