"Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. the error occurred why preparing the partition selected for installation. Err

caymen89

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I have just put a brand new hard drive into my computer because the old one died. I put in my windows 8 installation disk, and everything works fine.... then I'm hit with this message while trying to install "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. the error occurred why preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057.

I don't know what to do. It's not my sata cable, because I plugged in an old hard drive and it worked fine. I just can't seem to install Windows on this new hard drive and I don't know why :( Can some one please give me some suggestions?

Doesn't sound too good! However, try deleting all partitions on your drive by using Drive Options (Advanced) and install Windows to Unallocated Space without formatting or creating any partitions. Should work, if not, run Seatools for DOS to check out your drive

Dharamvir

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Run the installation media. select repair windows>Advanced Startup >command prompt(admin). in the command prompt:
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter. all the disks are displayed as disk 0, disk 1 etc.
type select disk 0 and press enter
type list volume and press enter. make a note of all the volumes present on the disk
type select volume 0 and press enter
type delete volume and press enter. repeat this step for all volumes on the disk. this will free up all the space on the disk. now install windows 8 (fresh install) and celebrate

IUGANEZE BELATUOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

Ronman32

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Run the installation media. select repair windows>Advanced Startup >command prompt(admin). in the command prompt:
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter. all the disks are displayed as disk 0, disk 1 etc.
type select disk 0 and press enter
type list volume and press enter. make a note of all the volumes present on the disk
type delete volume 0 and press enter. repeat this step for all volumes on the disk. this will free up all the space on the disk. now install windows 8 (fresh install) and celebrate

This didn't work for me until I did the following after list volume:

Select Volume 0

Delete Volume

Dharamvir

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Thankyou Ronman32. That was my mistake!
updated my answer