Your question

How hard is building your own PC

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Computers
  • Build Your Own
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
September 3, 2013 9:34:39 PM

I need to get a new computer and thinking about putting one together myself. I'm studying computer animation and just killed my laptop trying to put a new fan in it. I'm a lifelong mac user, but I'm thinking I may be able to put together a better machine than, say an iMac, for the same price. How hard would this be with no experience or knowledge of hardware (see above story about laptop fan) and not a ton of time? Is it plug-and-play, or is thre soldering and stuff involved? Where would I start?

More about : hard building

September 3, 2013 10:20:19 PM

It's all pretty much plug and play. I too am looking on building one myself this November and from all the knowledge that I have gathered, it is super easy. The only two main problems you may have are 1) some parts don't work like their supposed to and you have to call customer support and get a replacement and 2) choosing the right parts that suit your needs. But we'll start with #2. There are hundreds of parts out there with up to hundreds of thousands of different combinations of those parts. This is why people love to build their own. It's customized to their needs. It has the same equivalent (if not, greater) feeling as like getting your first car and going places as a teen.

So here is where we start:
What is your purpose for the build? What is your budget?
September 4, 2013 5:32:48 PM

since you're a mac user its impossible. i am joking of course.

building your own computer is very easy. i've had 12-14 year old kids build one.

as far as picking components is concerned you could research it yourself or take the easy route and post on what your budget and needs are and we could pick out parts for you to buy since we are all much more familiar with the individual components and what you would need.

once you have the components in hand its like playing with legos. read some guides, take your time and if you have any questions at all ask.

laptops can be a real bear to work on. its not suprising that you killed it. personally i wouldnt feel comfortable disassembling it although i could if need be. desktop computers are much more straightforward and easier to work on..

all computer parts either snap together (ram snaps into slots, gpu snaps into slots) or screw together (dvd drives, hard drives screw into a mounting position. everything is marked where it goes and remember if you ever have a question just ask it here.
September 4, 2013 5:37:08 PM

bmanv13 said:
It's all pretty much plug and play. I too am looking on building one myself this November and from all the knowledge that I have gathered, it is super easy. The only two main problems you may have are 1) some parts don't work like their supposed to and you have to call customer support and get a replacement and 2) choosing the right parts that suit your needs. But we'll start with #2. There are hundreds of parts out there with up to hundreds of thousands of different combinations of those parts. This is why people love to build their own. It's customized to their needs. It has the same equivalent (if not, greater) feeling as like getting your first car and going places as a teen.

So here is where we start:
What is your purpose for the build? What is your budget?

Thanks to everyone for your kind responses.