job search on websites help

tna135

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hi im 17 still looking for a job. Im having trouble finding a job and i want one asap. I know theres websites that you fill out your information. I have something just like it on snagajob.com but the thing is that wonders me is that people looking to hire other people to work for them even look at stuff like that?

USAFRet

Titan
In your situation, the problem with job websites is that the jobs are almost certainly not local to you. And you're probably not ready to relocate across the country.

Depending on where you live, there are probably several hundred or several thousand businesses, both large and small, within a 2 mile radius. Which ones haven't you been to yet?

TCTechie

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Another item running against you is the face-to-face interaction when seeking employment. Please don't take offense, but in the online job market you're just a 17 year old kid with no background/experience. Over time, as you become more educated and build experience, the online job market becomes easier to navigate and utilize effectively.

My suggestion is hit the streets and meet in-person with potential employers. Dress semi-casual, not jeans and a t-shirt, but khakis and a loose collar button up shirt. Walk into businesses and ask if they have any positions available. If not, ask for an application, fill it out while you're there, and politely ask them to save it for when a position becomes available. Don't forget to thank them for their time.

Another suggestion is to have several copies of your resume to hand to every employer you meet. You may not have much to put on a resume, but at a minimum it serves as a note with your name and contact information.

Finally, don't be afraid of the word 'NO'. While looking for a job you will hear 'no' several times, I guarantee it. It's just a word and gives you an immediate answer as what to do next, which is keep looking. So, put on your game face, have confidence, remain polite, and go meet some people. If you've already been somewhere and they've said no, wait a couple weeks, go back and check if anything has opened up. That will refresh their memory of you and shows your dedication.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS