Sign in with
Your question

First time builder need help to finish my homework. Multiple questions.

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2013 11:02:36 AM

Lately I took most of my gaming from ps3 to pc, and since my pc is not build for gaming and is quite old, I decided it was time to get a new one.
(Current pc is a Acer Aspire X3910)

I have spent quite some time trying to do reseach, but reading page after page, understand what i'm reading, not having English as my first language and throwing
my ADHD on top of that (yes I do in fact have ADHD) not the best mix :) 
So I was really hoping for some help from you guys

I have made an attempt on putting some parts together looking like this:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k
Motherboard: MSI z87-G45 Gaming
Videocard: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr - 2GB
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 - 750W PSU
Memory: Corsair Vengeance BI DDR3-1600 DC - 8GB

My budget comes out around 1000$ and with hardware prices here in Denmark we are around that in this list.

When I'm gaming its mostly Call of Duty, so at the time Black Ops 2, other than that some Borderlands 2, L4D2, minecraft.
I dont plan on doing alot of overclocking, though it might be fun to mess around with at some point.:??: 

CPU I'm really hooked on the 4670k no matter how many other CPU's I look at I alwayes turn back to the 4670k, so it would take something special to convince other wise.

Motherboards I have a hard time figuring out. Ofcause it have to have the 1150 socket for the CPU to fit, looking around on this site it seems like the Z87 chip is a popular choice.
Other than that I'm having a hard time figuring out what to look for, and where one benefits over another. The only reason for the one I picked out was kinda the name "gaming"
Tried to read the guide on this site, but couldnt make much sence of it* (*Read: ADHD:heink: ).

What would I loose by going with the cheaper z87-g43?
    Other options that would cover my needs?

Videocard I also looked at the amd 7950, but running Nvidia now so I'm kinda familiar with how they run there software.

Will the 760 do a good job with games like COD?
    Saw a new version have come out with 4gb of memory instead, is that worth it?
    Will regular games be able to take advantage of that?
    Other cards in that price range worth taking a look at?

PSU I choose from reading on this site. The Geforce 760 suggest a minimum of 500w so figuring that 750w would cover me pretty well.

Am I wrong on this?
    Cheaper solutions that will serve me just aswell?
    What if I one day decide to get a second videocard, will it still be enough?

Memory was one of the cheapest solutions I could find.

Is the speed of RAM crucial to gaming?
    From my understanding will 8gb of memory be plenty for regular gaming?

For storage I plan on using the drive from my old pc and then at some point find a SSD to run OS and games from.

Case I dont have a specific in mind, but does that matter to much? Defently dont need any fancy disco flashing in my living room :) 

Things I'm missing for a build?

Hope people have the patience to read through all this:)  Any answers, suggestions, advice or other kind of help will be greatly appreciated.
a c 278 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
September 4, 2013 11:19:43 AM

Quote:
CPU I'm really hooked on the 4670k no matter how many other CPU's I look at I alwayes turn back to the 4670k, so it would take something special to convince other wise.

That's the CPU I'd recommend right now. Don't let others persuade you with the "Ivy Bridge overclocks better" argument - there's no evidence in any benchmark I've seen that will attest to that.

Quote:

Motherboards I have a hard time figuring out. Ofcause it have to have the 1150 socket for the CPU to fit, looking around on this site it seems like the Z87 chip is a popular choice.
Other than that I'm having a hard time figuring out what to look for, and where one benefits over another. The only reason for the one I picked out was kinda the name "gaming"
Tried to read the guide on this site, but couldnt make much sence of it* (*Read: ADHD:heink:  ).

Z87 is necessary if you're planning on overclocking. H87 if you don't.

Quote:

What would I loose by going with the cheaper z87-g43?
Other options that would cover my needs?

How much do you want to spend on a motherboard? That will greatly affect your options. I would go for something like a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H or Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 if I had the option.

Quote:

Videocard I also looked at the amd 7950, but running Nvidia now so I'm kinda familiar with how they run there software.

Will the 760 do a good job with games like COD?
Saw a new version have come out with 4gb of memory instead, is that worth it?
Will regular games be able to take advantage of that?
Other cards in that price range worth taking a look at?

1. Absolutely.
2. No, that will only come into play when running multiple monitors off a single card.
3. Again depends on how many monitors you want to hook up.
4. Alternately take a look at the Radeon 7950, prices are hovering around the ~$270 range right now.

Quote:

PSU I choose from reading on this site. The Geforce 760 suggest a minimum of 500w so figuring that 750w would cover me pretty well.

Am I wrong on this?
Cheaper solutions that will serve me just aswell?
What if I one day decide to get a second videocard, will it still be enough?

1. 750+ is ideal if you want to add a second GTX 760 later on. For a single you want minimum 550W. GPU manufacturers usually base power requirements off incredibly cheap and poorly manufactured supplies, so the requirements are usually inflated.
2. Make sure that you get a quality power supply. Don't go cheap in this area.
3. Yes.

Quote:

Memory was one of the cheapest solutions I could find.

Is the speed of RAM crucial to gaming?
From my understanding will 8gb of memory be plenty for regular gaming?

1. No.
2. Yes.

Quote:
Case I dont have a specific in mind, but does that matter to much? Defently dont need any fancy disco flashing in my living room :) 

Those cases generally tend to be from the worst manufacturers on the market. They offset poorly constructed cases made with shoddy materials with fancy LED lights to inflate the cost.

I would do something like this for $1K:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($102.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($264.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($97.28 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1077.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-04 14:19 EDT-0400)

Went a little over budget but that should be what you need.
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2013 11:21:18 AM

You picked all good parts, you just need a case on top of that.
If you plan on overclocking at some point, yes you need the Z87 chipset and an aftermarket cooler. THe Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is the price/performance winner.
the 760 will have no problem with Call of Duty, its a great card for the price! No reason to get the 4GB version unless you are gaming on 3+ monitors or at 4k resolution.
PSU is fine.
8 GB of RAM at 1600MHz is the sweet spot. Faster and/or more RAM has diminishing returns.
Related resources
a c 278 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
September 4, 2013 11:31:47 AM

socialassassin said:
You picked all good parts, you just need a case on top of that.
If you plan on overclocking at some point, yes you need the Z87 chipset and an aftermarket cooler. THe Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is the price/performance winner.
the 760 will have no problem with Call of Duty, its a great card for the price! No reason to get the 4GB version unless you are gaming on 3+ monitors or at 4k resolution.
PSU is fine.
8 GB of RAM at 1600MHz is the sweet spot. Faster and/or more RAM has diminishing returns.

Yeah plus going over 1600 will lead to your warranty getting voided if something goes wrong with your CPU. Some people may suggest DDR3 2133, and I don't know where this is coming from, but it's flat out wrong.
September 8, 2013 8:51:37 AM

Thank you both for the great answers.
Sound like I where kinda getting on the right track in finding the right components.

For the motherboard I've been looking at the Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, and think I'll be going for that one. Looks to be covering my needs and is in the price range. The one from Gigabyte would be pushing my budget.

I dont belive I'll be running multiple monitors, so will be sticking to the 760 2Gb. But might want to get a second one at some point, so better go with atleast the 750w PSU.

I have one more question right now: When I bye a CPU like the 4670k it comes with a stock cooler right? I see alot of people in here taking about CPU coolers, is that because most people here overclock there CPU and need more cooling than the stock one can give, or is there another reason for that?

again greatly appreciate the help you guys are giving me, we all need to learn at some point :) 
a b 4 Gaming
September 8, 2013 10:53:44 AM

Bshark said:
Thank you both for the great answers.
Sound like I where kinda getting on the right track in finding the right components.

For the motherboard I've been looking at the Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, and think I'll be going for that one. Looks to be covering my needs and is in the price range. The one from Gigabyte would be pushing my budget.

I dont belive I'll be running multiple monitors, so will be sticking to the 760 2Gb. But might want to get a second one at some point, so better go with atleast the 750w PSU.

I have one more question right now: When I bye a CPU like the 4670k it comes with a stock cooler right? I see alot of people in here taking about CPU coolers, is that because most people here overclock there CPU and need more cooling than the stock one can give, or is there another reason for that?

again greatly appreciate the help you guys are giving me, we all need to learn at some point :) 

Yup, the CPU comes with a stock cooler which will be just fine if you're leaving it at default clocks. Once you up the voltage a bit, the temperatures will just be too high which is when you will need an aftermarket air or water cooler.
!